Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my pc...

• Please log in to reply

defender13

defender13

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Im going to upgrade my pc fairly soon to a pci-express bus.Im buying a new processor , motherboard , and a new graphics card.When i take my old agp motherboard out what is stored on them usually in terms of data (personal , security , operating system...). My next question is , im also going to buy more RAM later in the future (2x 1gb) to add to my existing 2x 256mb. The prexisting ram runs at 200mhz but the ram im looking at to buy is exactly the same except it runs at 400mhz. Can i mix these two types of Ram or should i just buy the 2x 1gb and remove my 2x 256mb.Thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
There isn't any data stored on your mobo, processor, or GPU. All of the data is on your harddrive. Also, if you're planning on buying 2X1gb of Ram, then you would be better of just taking the old RAM out. If you mix RAM it degrades performance and your new RAM will be forced to run at the old RAM's speed. Plus 2gb of RAM is more than enough and the other 512 would be pretty much useless.

Edited by kidnova, 23 August 2006 - 12:35 PM.

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
ok so when i get my new stuff all i need to do is hook it up to all of my parts(hard drive,disk drives,etc...)install the bios and other software then im good to go right?Also what do i do with the bios that is on my hard drive now in terms of deletion(because wont it interfere with the new one?)

PS:thanks for the help kidnova:)

Edited by defender13, 23 August 2006 - 01:57 PM.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The best thing you can do for yourself is to install the new parts, wipe out your HDD and start from scratch. Unfortunately Win XP doesn't take too well to swapping out motherboards without a fresh install. It is possible. I've done it, but it's tricky. If you don't know what you are doing it more than likely won't boot into Windows.

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
if i was going to wipe out my hard drive what would be the best way to do so to make sure everything is gone.Also if you could are there any sites that have walkthroughs to keep my hdd full instead of wiping it could i have a link,or is it mobo specific?Thanks

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
http://www.theelderg...motherboard.htm

You might want to try that guide. That is not the way I do it, but it does present a reasonable alternative.