Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ME DELETE A FILE I DOWNLOADED ON MY PC!

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Recently my friend reformated his pc, and he could not find the disc with all teh drivers and software for his internal internet modem. He called me and asked if I could go on the web to get them for him. So I went on his internet providers website and downloaded everything off the download page just so he could have it all and not need anything else. I downloaded everything off the following page for him:

His Internet Provider Download Page

After burning it all to cd for him, he left and went home. So I than decided to delete everything on my desktop that I had downloaded for him. Every file was deleted, except the one at the very bottom of the page on the link that I just posted, something called "AEI Windows 3.11 Internet Software". This file does not get deleted when I right click and "delete". It won't delete at all, even when I try to press "delete" on my keyboard and choose "yes" to the delete option. I did not use this software at all, nor did I install any of the files I downloaded on my pc from that page.

When I try to delete that one file I get a message that says "Error deleting file or folder: Cannot delete, it is being used by another person or program. Close and programs that might be using the file and try again". I tried using msconfig to restart my pc in safe mode, but I still could'nt delete the file. I don't know what to do.

I will tell you one thing. After I downloaded it for him I did indeed rename that one file although I did not tamper with it's extention as windows xp hides the extention. I renamed it so he could identify it when I burnt it, because the name of the file on the net is different than when you actually download it. Once again I renamed it but did not change it's extention as win xp already has every extention on my pc hidden.

How can I delete this file off my pc? It's annoying the [bleep] out of me!

Should I choose the view and folders option for win xp, choose "show all extentions", change it's extention name and than try to delete or something?

I do not want to tamper with it and than not be able to remove it at all.

Thank You

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Please download and install unlocker which is a free program, link to follow, it will override the the usage for you and then you will just delete normally. Good luck and come back if you have no joy with this then.

http://www.majorgeek...cker_d4660.html

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Is this program uninstallable? & how do I use it?

My last question is why does the file I downloaded do that in the first place?

I downloaded that unlocker program. Hope it works! Please let me know how to use it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
One installs it. Then when one clicks it, it normally shows a magic wand in the bottom right hand of the screen meaning it is running then one click on the file one wants to delete as normal and it should let you do it.

The program just overides the "this program is being used" thing.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
thx it worked!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
NP, come again.