Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Partition after windows xp Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

kang29

kang29

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey guys, recently i had a windows problem which resulted in a reformat.
but before i reformatted, i used partition magic 7.0 to partition a 10gig storage.
i'm not very computer savvy but i remember it was somthing like a data NTFS.
so i reinstalled windows and the whole bit. i reinstalled my drivers and everythings
back to normal EXCEPT i can't find my partition i made. partition magic showed 2 sections,
the main one i originally had. and what i think the free space of the 2nd partition which said
undisturbuted. so i redisturbuted my HD, now everything is showing up except for the
amount of space i used for back up files, around 8 gigs. any ideas to find the rest
of my hard drive??

-kang29

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
alright, well windows xp has something that does partitions. so im thinking it might be when you partitioned outside of windows it dropped that section as part of your hard drive. I would try to reformat and do partitions before installing windows... but i dont really know the program you used so there might be a better way of doing it. Do you have important stuff on that hard drive, aka you dont want to format again?

kang29

kang29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea i just got everythign installed again and its just like new. i just need to find the one i used to back up my important files. i know its somewhere on my HD because its a 160 gig HD, and on the My Computer, it shows up as 149 gigs. and i had around 5 to 8 gigs of info that i backed up on the separate partition. any ideas?

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
does partition magic have anything where it can combine partitions or something. although i doubt that it will let you since your os is on the main partition... do two hard drives pop up in my computer?

kang29

kang29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it has the option to combine partitions but it didnt work.
no its only the 1 main HD i can see. thats y i'm trying to find out
if i can find where the other part of it is or just my files.

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
did you search for the files yet (start menu, search)... seems dumb but see what comes up.

kang29

kang29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
tried that . . .

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hahaha sorry man just thinking.... let me research alittle and see what hits