PLEASE HELP w/ DRIVERS!
Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:40 PM
Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:55 PM
Welcome to Geeks to Go.
What I mean is this.
You have one cable connecting from your motherboard to your Hard Drive and another from the motherboard to your DVD/CD drives. These are known as Primary and Secondary Connectors.
What I would like you to do is see if the cable to your hard drive has a flat connector about half way along it that isn't connected to anything.
Let me know when you find it.
Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:02 PM
Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:04 PM
Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:42 PM
OK, here the best link that I could find.
If you have any questions or unsure about doing this please let me know. I would also advise printing these instructions out and also the pages in the link I have supplied above. Print a copy of each step in the link.
1. Shut down the computer and unplug from the wall socket.
2. Open tower casing. This will be done by removing screws at the back (around the edge) and sliding the side cover or entire cover off.
3. Locate your Primary and Secondary IDE cables. Your Primary cable is the one that connects to your Hard Drive and the Secondary connects to your DVD/CD drive/s. Let me know if this is not the case.
4. Disconnect the cable from the dvd/cd drive at the end of the chain. Each cable will have a connector at the end and also one connector about 4 inches or so back from the end that allows connection to another device. Make sure that the Primary has a second connector back from the end of the cable. Let me know if this is not the case.
5. Unplug the power cable to the device. This will be a flat plastic connector with 4 wires in it, usually loacated at the right hand side of the device (looking from the back).
6. Uplug the sound connector. A thin 2 wired connector usually located on the left hand side of the device (looking from the back).
7. Remove the dvd/cd device from the system by removing the screws from each side.
8. Set the Jumpers at the back of the dvd/cd to Slave. There should be a diagram on the dvd/cd drive to show you haow to set the jumpers. Make sure that you record what these settings are before you change them as you will have to put them back to this setting when you finish.
9. Connect the dvd/cd drive to the empty connector on the Primary cable.
10. Connect a spare power cable to the dvd/cd device.
11. Plug the wall socket back in and turn on the computer.
12. If the device is connected properly the computer should detect it.
13. If the device still isn't detected, shut down the computer and unplug it from the wall socket then reverse the above steps to return your system back to the way it was. Remember to set the jumpers on the back of the device that you moved to the way they were initially.
Let me know how you get on.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users