Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Opens folder on startup

• Please log in to reply

SpruceM

SpruceM

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys, just wondering if anyone could tell me how to stop my computer from opening the System32 folder everytime it starts up? (C:\WINDOWS\system32). Think it opens as a result of a virus that ive gotten rid of? Not really sure, any help would be appreciated.

Also can anyone tell me how to start my computer up in Safe mode? Running on Windows XP here. Coz i have an annoying random file that wont let me delete, always says its in use by another person or program (its a zipped file that just doesnt want to go haha :whistling: )

Thanx for help on both of these.

- Spruce

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Please go to Start | Run and type msconfig, then go to the Startup tab.

Then, please list everything displayed with a checkmark in the Startup item column in a new reply.

Since you said that you recently removed a virus, that could easily be the cause; this often happens when there is a bad entry in the startup portion of the Registry. You also should post a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum. There are instructions here.

To startup in Safe Mode, just press F8 a few times before the Windows boot screen appears (black background with Windows logo and progress bar) and choose Safe Mode. Johanna has an excellent guide to deleting stubborn files here.

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yeh those undeletable files are annoying, you could always jst download MoveOnBoot. you can check that file for deletion on the next system boot. You could also DL the free trial of Registry Mechanic to clear up your problem on startup with System32 folder. I use Registry Mechanic every few weeks, it keeps everything slick, and free from dud registry entries...

Dave

SpruceM

SpruceM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanx guys, been abit busy here lately, but thanks tons for all your suggestions and ill get onto it asap and let you know how it goes :whistling:

-Spruce