Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time building need some assistance

• Please log in to reply

psp

psp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. Im new here so hello to all.

I currently own:
amd athlon xp 2500+ barton cpu
Asus a7n8x-vm board
pc2700 ddr ram 2x256
two regular hard drives 200 gig and and 80 gig
couple of cd/dvd burners
PSU 300w
sound card = emu 1820 (pro audio)
integrated graphics on the asus board

Here is what I have just been able to pickup for a good deal

Amd opteron 165 socket 939 doul core with heatsink and fan
ocz pc 3200 512 dual channel Platinum Rev 2 ram 2-2-2-5 (X2)...so 1 gig total
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATHLON 64 X2 939 DUAL mother board.

Now my questions:

1. I understand that I will likely need a new Power supply unit. Any recommendations as far as wattage and brand that would work well with the DFI board mentioned above?

2. The motherboard doesnt have any cables with it...would my old ribben type cable work or do I need to upgrade these? If so what type would I need?

3. I dont think the DFI lanparty has integrated graphics? So what would be need to run the system.

4. Hoping my drives are compatible..they should be right?

What I use the computer for???....Audio recording. No games loaded on my system at all. So a graphics card, if needed can be basic, but of course must jive with the above mentioned.

getting very confused looking at all the forums as many people have their favs for things. Any help woould be appreciated

Have I missed anything that I will need to make this system work?...my tower shuld fit all the above...parts arrive tomorrow I believe....may end up taking it all into a store to get them to plug things in...I can load all drivers and clean install xp but I want all the parts first...

thanks for your help
psp

Edited by psp, 24 August 2006 - 12:06 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I prefer the highest quality PS's i can buy at resonable prices. I would look into the enermax 500 watt PS's for what you need.

http://www.newegg.co.......=&maxPrice=

Even the antec or thermotake would be suitable but the enermax has the best quality.

Your old cables would work fine and your HD's should be fine also. For a graphics card i think a PCI-E nvidia 6600 or a ATI X700 would be just fine. I have never needed the best graphics cards for what i do so why bother spending big money on something you will very seldom use to its fullest.

SRX660

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
yea a 450-500W PSU should do you fine- i have a similar system with a 550W Antec Silent PSU- it works beautifully- are you getting a new case with that as well? Once again- Antec is another great case maker- possibly one of the best out there- look at the Sonata II or the p180

Edited by soxrok, 24 August 2006 - 06:59 AM.

psp

psp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replies. I will research what you have suggested. I live in Canada and am always trying to find the best prices. Any suggestions for online retailers?

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Try http://www.tigerdirect.ca/ or http://www.pccanada.com/

psp

psp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have read some good reviews of the bfg geforce 6600 gt oc . Any comments on this card? Remember I am not a gamer at all.