Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Proffessional Install

• Please log in to reply

Sophilicious

Sophilicious

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Last year i completed a certificate in information technology. Managing and something a Windows Server 2003 Environment. Or something along those lines i can't quite remember the title. Obviously i had Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition installed on my PC for this course. The PC was woking well however i server does not have the media support required for my Creative Zen Vision M: and also for AutoCAD 2006( which i need for my bachelor of Civil Engineering that i am now doing).
Long Story short, i am trying to install XP Pro to overcome this. I have deleted the partition and reformatted my drive but when i boot from my XP Pro CD it says 'Non System Disk, Please enter a system disk and press enter.' If i insert the Server CD it proceeds to boot from the CD. If i power on with no CD at all, after PCI.... it says 'Error Loading OS'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i am desperate to get my machine working for Uni. Thank-you

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
HI sophilicious. Did you go in to BIOS and change the boot order to
boot cd first?

Edited by 4238dwight, 24 August 2006 - 07:35 AM.

Sophilicious

Sophilicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Boot Order is:

1. 3.5'' Floppy
2. CD Drive
3. Hdd

Sophilicious

Sophilicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried the above boot order with empty floppy drive. Didn't work.
Also moved floppy to third boot device so that the CD Drive was first then HDD then floppy. This also did not work.
When i try to boot from the XP Pro CD it says non-system disk, please insert a system disc and press enter.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Take a good look at your xp cd and make
sure it is clean, no fingger prints or anything
like that. if its clean.

Sophilicious

Sophilicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes thank you 4238dwight, the CD is clean. I have had it in this machine and it runs properly.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi sophilicious. Well sorry I could help you with this ?
wait one of the geeks to help you. what program did you
use to formatt the hard drive ? I always use boot and nuke.
I hope you get it going, Dwight

Sophilicious

Sophilicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I pulled the hard drive out and put it into this computer(dads) and formatted using disk management. I have also tried disc wizard and also formatting from a windows 98 startup disk. All three ways still resulted in the message 'non-sytem disc - Please insert a system disc and press enter' when i try to boot from the XP CD. And all three times i was able to boot to windows setup if i used the Server 2003 CD.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to BIOS set up, check the boot order is CD ROM then hard drive, press F10 to save and type Y to confirm if you change anything

Put the XP CD in the drive, start the PC and keep tapping enter

Justin Time

Justin Time

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My stuff looks like a similar problem, how did you go Sophilicious???