Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

AngelInHeaven

AngelInHeaven

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Probably asked before, but what's the difference in buying 2X 512MB ram sticks or a single 1GB? Would there be any performance issues or not?

I have 512 at the moment and wish to add another gigabyte to it. I've heard of the dual channel RAM also. I'm guessing mine supports this because in the manual it has a picture of my computer inside (layout), it has two seperate Channels named 'A' and 'B', different colours and two slots for each channel.

So I want to make my RAM total 1.5GB, my motherboard is here;

http://www.intel.com...15gmh/index.htm

Currently there are 2 256MB sticks, in the first two slots (so Channel A slot 1 and Channel B slot 1). How should I make this into 1.5GB? Two more 512MB sticks into the other two slots?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, your motherboard is dual channel capable. What i would do here is move the 2-256 sticks to the second set of slots and install 2-512 sticks of matching memory( same brand and model numbers)in thefirst set of slots. This lets windows use the 512 sticks first. You will only see a very slight increase in speed by using more than 512 mb of memory. CD burning and video editing is where i do see better speed with more than 512 mb of memory.

SRX660

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
There are a few factors to consider. The primary factor is the speed of your old RAM compared to the new. If the speeds are different the RAM will function at the lower of the two. The second is whether or not the RAM you have now is a mismatched pair. This can cause serious stability issues if you try running them in dual channel. The third is the benefits. There really is no benefit to running over 1GB of memory on Windows XP. There may be the occasional new game that requires it, but not many. I would remove the 512 you have now and just install a 1GB kit.