Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring files from PC to laptop.

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I have had this PC for 5 years, now I am going off to college and I just ordered a laptop. However, I have a lot of music and and movies on this PC, but my CD burner is broken. It simply won't work. So to play CD's, I just use my DVD drive. That is not the point though. The problem is I want to transfer the files from my PC to my laptop, what is the easiest way to go about doing this?

Thanks.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
There are many options. 1, Buy a new burner. DVD burners are cheap. I just ordered two from New Egg for $70 shipped. 2. Network the two devices and transfer files. Plenty of help on Google for that and an ethernet patch cord is very cheap. 3. External hard drive are the best for large amounts of transferable files and extra storage. I find them fantastic for both and a good way to back up a system especially before major OS repair. Bang for the buck it's the best deal.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
#2 looks most appealing since I don't have to spend any money. I think I already have a router or w/e for a wireless internet connection. Do I need to download a specific program to transfer files from PC to PC in a network?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Make sure the cable is a CROSSOVER cable if you are connecting PC to PC as a straight cable will not allow you to connect.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If this is Windows to Windows this might help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A crossover cable and follow spacecowboys networking guide if it still wont work is the easiest way, to open up the other computer just open explorer and types its name and after that its a simple job to move files over with copy and paste.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay, not really sure what a crossover table is though, does it cost money? And yes it is Windows home to Windows home.

Edited by Sk0rch, 24 August 2006 - 02:15 PM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Conect the two computers via a network cable (should cost about $2 for a small length).
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, select Files and settings Transfer wizard.
Follow the Wizard.

This is the easiest way to do this.

Edited by sarahw, 24 August 2006 - 03:03 PM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Ok thanks, I'll try that, once my laptop arrives. Is there a specific kind of network cable or should I just go to the store and ask for any network cable?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Ok thanks, I'll try that, once my laptop arrives. Is there a specific kind of network cable or should I just go to the store and ask for any network cable?

Already told you.. it has to be a CROSSOVER cable... a regular, every day, run of the mill network cable WILL NOT work.

Since you don't know what that is, ask the salesman where you buy the cable. Tell him you need a crossover cable and he'll know what you are talking about (as long as you aren't buying it at like Wal-Mart or something like that in which case the clerk may not have a clue).

If you get a regular network cable it isn't going to work.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt bother with the files and settings wizard, no point transferring over years old settings and windows junk, transfer over the files and reinstall your apps fresh then transfer the application data folder across.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay I understood everything, then warriorscot's post confused me.

So I shouldn't transfer it through the files and settings wizard? Is there a wizard just for files and not settings?

Reinstall what apps? What application data folder?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No files and settings transfers absolutley everything including all the things youve mucked up in your OS over the years and there is advantagous to a clean OS because windows likes to clutter itself up over the years so if you have the chance to clean house you should and files and settings transfer wizard doesnt transfer everything anyway its not actually all that great.

Its easier i find to just copy and past the files needed from one computer to the other so your music and personal documents etc., and files and settings wizard also doesnt transfer applitions across so they will need to be installed fresh, now if you have that app in your old computer as well in your documents(up one level from my documents) is a folder called application data with all the preferences, bookmarks etc from your current applications move that across to the new PC and youll be dandy.

My point is basically ive always found manual tranfer easier it can on occasion take a little longer but its more effective and less chance of breaking something or introducing a new error(or an old one) to a nice new system. Ill often transfer nothing but my internet bookmarks and my music from an old computer to a new one.

leingod

leingod

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Instead of using crossover cables and/or buying a new burner, why not use a USB flash storage drive? It has to be pretty big though. Thats what I used to do until I went out and bought a crossover cable. I used a 64MB USB btw...

Edited by leingod, 25 August 2006 - 05:16 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Instead of using crossover cables and/or buying a new burner, why not use a USB flash storage drive? It has to be pretty big though. Thats what I used to do until I went out and bought a crossover cable. I used a 64MB USB btw...

Cost-wise the crossover cable would be a cheaper alternative. A large falsh drive, while reasonably priced now, is still way more than a cable would be.

And I agree with arriorscot, manual is the way to go.. wizards and all that stuff just tend to muck things up... find what you need an do a good old fashioned copy and paste and you will be in business.