Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp Fatal system error

• Please log in to reply

dooordarshan

dooordarshan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: Hi Rushin1ND and LesB,

This is amazing group of folks helping each other.

I have encountered similar problem after autoupdate from Microsoft(found out from the firewall logs). I have changed most of the bios settings to see if it would work without much success (dismantling/removing the battery, etc too!) . I am running Windows 2003 Enterprise edition on Dell 4100, 800 Mhz, 256 MB.

Error during the loop is same, however, if I halt the machine, then the code is 0x00000080 (00000000, 00000000) Window logon service process service encounters a fatal error same as LesB.

I have 3 disks Filesystems NTFS
Disk 0 : 20 GB OS Partition C:
Disk 2 : 20 GB Partition F & G (10 GB each)
Disk 3 : 60 GB Partitions D & E (30 GB each)

I have tried to repair v/s reinstall via Microsoft installation CD. Performed ChkDsk on all partition.
Can see all partitions and directories, but cannot access within directories. Any thoughts

As per your earlier suggestions, two choices,
1. See if I can get a fix for the security problem you mentioned earlier. (Hopefully no loss of information)
2. Re-install it on another Disk/partition. (Probably may loose information)

My concern is that I can re-install Win 2003 on another disk or partition, however, do not want to loose any files. I had some files that are encrypted.

I will re-read the thread and then would like to find the best course to fix this nuisance.

Do you think it was due to update or potentially virus from your expert vantage point? I believe the update could have done this. Unfortunately, I can't verify if this was due to virus or malware. Do you know the name of the Worm or virus that resulted in this error. I remembered reading about it.

With Regards,

Dooordarshan.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Well...if everything is normal, I'd say we're done :blink:. If you need anything else, or have any questions, let us know. :whistling:

@Dooordarshan: Welcome to Geeks to Go! One thing you didn't read...see at the top of our website where it says:

To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up.

Please follow those directions.

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So far so good Just wanted to say thanks for getting me thought all this.
Is there anything else you think I need to do before we close this out?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you did a great job computerwiz lead the way to sure victory

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Thanks rushin1nd. :help:

One last thing I'd suggest (unless you've done it already) is to protect that computer from infections. The following is a list of protection software that I usually install on my clients computers:

Avast! Anti-virus
Spyware Blaster Blocks a good bit of bad sites
McAfee's Site Advisor Warns about bad sites
Ewido Anti-Malware Super spyware removal, gets what Avast misses

Of course there's no such thing a perfect protection, but with this setup, you're pretty close to perfect. :whistling:

The only way you'd get closer is by using Kaspersky instead of Avast, but Kaspersky tends to use a good bit of resources, and with this setup, it's not really necessary. But if you want the best of the best of the best, buy Kaspersky instead of going with free Avast. But I think you'll be satisfied with Avast and those other programs.

Ewido does not have to be bought to be used. Once the trial runs out, you can still scan, you just don't get to keep the auto-update feature and the real-time protection feature. It's no big deal if you just remember to run it once a week.

We don't "close" non-malware threads except under certain circumstances. Lemme know if you need anything else :blink:

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I need to know if I can run those items you suggested if I already have McAfee security center. I did also load spybot and Ad-aware. WIll the others run with or should I uninstall some and run the others?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You can't run Avast if you already have McAfee security center.

With Ad-aware, it is okay to run Ewido, as long as you don't have the paid version of ad-aware (because then you will have real-time protection, just like Ewido, which can cause conflicts). It's okay to have Spy Bot, Ad-aware, and Ewido, so long as you don't scan at the same exact time with them. More protection is better (to a degree, then it becomes problematic and/or redundant), but I like to keep things simple for people by suggesting just Ewido, rather than Ad-aware and Spybot. However, if you are comfortable with remembering to use all 3, that's more power to ya! :whistling:

Ewido isn't perfect. No program is perfect. So by having all 3, they will clean up after each other. :blink: