Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WSUS Error

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Source: Windows Server Update
Type: Error
Event ID: 421

Connection to database failed. Reason=Login failed for `NT Authority\Network Service`..Connection String: Data Source=ServerName\WSUS;Initial Catalog=SUSDB;Connection Timeout= 60;Application Name=WSUS SQL
Connection; Trusted_Connection=Yes;Pooling=`true`;Max Pool Size=100

That is in the application log.

This is what I get when I put in my admin credentials to open WSUS:

Error connecting to the Windows Server Update Services database
There was an error connecting to the Windows Server Update Services database. Either the database is not available or you do not have the correct privileges to access the database.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please check with your system administrator.

Click here to reload the site: Windows Server Update Services

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So far it seems like the database is corrupt and I will need to do a complete reinstall.

If anyone has any ideas before that let me know, please.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
has wsus been up for long? just wondering for the reinstall consequences

are you using the MSDE or an acutal sql instance?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
It has been up for about 8 months on this server. New hardware.

I actually just did a full delete and reinstall and it seems to work now without any problems.

I was using the sql instance.

I figured after hours of looking around for answers a reinstall was the best option and so far it seems true. The one thing I did find is that you have to make sure you remove all the components and do a fresh install.

That way you make sure everything is all set.

Thanks though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...WSUS is odd...i've found that when it messes up...reinstallng it is the easiest way to go..to my knowledge the server retains all the update files so it's not like you've got to re DL those...but i could be wrong

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You can choose to save the files if you want. For my case, I found the best thing was to wipe it out completely and i will re-download them over the weekend.

Our company is closed Sat and Sun so I dont mind dealing with it then. Its less of a headache then fighting with it all day today just to find out that I will have to reinstall it anways later.