Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C drive space question

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I just reinstalled windows XP and made a 10GB partition on my 160GB RAID 0 for my OS. Now I got a message that I am running low on space on my OS drive C: I right click on the drive and I have 9.76 GB Capacity and 739MB free space. Now here is the strange part. Here are the the 3 folders I have on the drive. I have hidden files enabled.

Documents and settings 458MB
Program Files 2.57 GB
Windows 2.42GB

That doesn't add up to over 9 GBs!!! That should be about 5.5GB! Whats going on???

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ahh.. so its system restore... shoulda thought of that... thanks... I guess there isn't away to make windows put system restore data on my other partition is there? I guess I should have made my OS partition a little bigger.

Edited by Andybikecrazy, 25 August 2006 - 02:21 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you turn system restore off on the system drive it turns it off on all drives

[attachment=10411:attachment]

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yeah but I kinda want to keep it on.. I just lowered the amount of space it uses...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's what I was saying that there wasn't anything to gain because it needs to be running on the system drive

Use disc clean up, clean up restore points every week or so