Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Add New Hardware"

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello, I'm having problems installing new hardware on Windows XP.
Yesturday I installed a clean version of Windows XP SP2 on one of my computers. The install went well and had no glitches. I've only found one problem with it so far. The problem is this:
When I connect my printer, webcam and other devices, my Windows Xp will tell me that it dectected new hardware, and I know that this is normal. But whats not normal is everytime it tries to install the hardware, it takes several minutes and detects no drivers. What I mean by this is when the Install New Hardware window opens (from device manager) and starts running the search to find drivers, and it searches for several minutes (i've let it go up to 15minutes before i manually closed it) and it doesn't find the drivers in the span of time. And I find that strange because some of the drivers for the devices are installed on my computer and i have the rest on disc, and my Windows XP wont detect either. My other computer with the same Windows installed takes no more than 30 seconds to find the drivers and install the hardware.
What should I do??

:whistling:

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You can try going to the drivers folder for the device and see if there is a .inf file. Right click on the file and click "install". it will look as though nothing happened. just restart the PC and it should install the device. I don't know that this works with XP but I've used this method to install devices in win9x many times. The next option is to find where the drivers and files need to be installed (generally c:\windows\system 32\drivers, but not always) and place them there.