Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd drive on new toshiba will read but not burn R+?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
We just unboxed our new toshiba MX50 - M5 and installed programs about a week ago. The notebook was purchased in Feb, however all the programs were on the 3 year old toshiba satellite 2410 and it was and is still working fine and we were just now over the holidays able to get the time to set up the new one.

I tried to burn an R+ from a family R- dvd and the drive will read it but won't burn it. I tried R+ maxells, fuji, sony and all were no gos.
On the old 2410 toshiba, absolutely no problem.

Then I attempted to use our external BenQ 162I burner with the R+ to burn to and the same thing happened. So my software office tech took it and contacted toshiba and they suggested taking out all of the programs that I added. He did this, but before doing so took a Ghost of the C drive and then used the notebook restore disc so the notebook was like new out of the box.

He repeated what I tried with the notebook only using R+ Ty Uden (sp) and some BenQ R+ and other R+ media that he had and got the same result, a message asking for R- media to burn to. The Source disk being the same family R- DVD burned from my mini dv camcorder.

He tried the same thing on the BenQ ext 162I and again the same occurrence.

He talked to toshiba and they said that it should burn R+ and so I went back to the store as the office tech said that it is like something is preventing the notebook from talking to (in my laypersons lingo) the BenQ R+ media inserted in it and as well the R+ media in the notebook drive itself.

The store said it must be the drive itself that is gone, however the level 2 tech at toshiba support said that it sounds like it is a more serious hardware problem.

Has anyone ever had anything like this occur and is it reasonable that if they replace the dvd drive in the notebook that the BenQ will start recognizing and burning to R+???? or is it likely something deeper than this.

I post this as the store said that the tech will call me next week to advise of what the issue is and I want to insure that my external burner is going to burn R+ as well.

As mentioned earlier I was busy burning this R- family dvd as the source in both my satellite 2410 that I am using right now and burned to R+ with no problems.
I did 8 with no coasters.

I hope someone can advise.
Thankyou.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well I notice you continuosly try to copy a R- disk have you tried to just burn a R+ disk? or make an ISO image of the R- disk on the hard drive and then burn that? it may be the process of copying that is causing the problem.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Yes the software tech at the office did both of what you have suggested. I had a family home video on an R+ and the notebook kept giving the message again requesting an R- disc. He also tried the ISO image with both the R+ and R- and the drive kept giving the message that an R- disc was needed.

Hope the additional info helps.

I am still waiting to hear back from the repair depot. I did speak to a toshiba qualified tech at one of their depot's and he could not understand why the notebook is doing this as the specs he also confirmed indicate that it should burn R+ media. I spoke to him yesterday.

BTW, he thought that the removal of all of my programs which our software tech did and then loading the restoration disc would fix the problem as he said that the drive is operated by the software enabling some technical term he used that is on the motherboard that activates the burning.
I am not a tech so I was and am not sure what he is describing.

Thankyou.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with dvd's there is a difference between R- and R+ ...something to do with the way that the technology was made...and apparently there was an arguement over standards....SO if you've got a DVD R- drive...it will not burn to a DVD R+ disk...and vice versa (i think vice versa...but a + drive may be able to burn on a - disk...but i don't think so) to be able to use both + and - disks..you need a +- drive

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

with dvd's there is a difference between R- and R+ ...something to do with the way that the technology was made...and apparently there was an arguement over standards....SO if you've got a DVD R- drive...it will not burn to a DVD R+ disk...and vice versa (i think vice versa...but a + drive may be able to burn on a - disk...but i don't think so) to be able to use both + and - disks..you need a +- drive

Yes I thought of that as well but from what he said toshiba claims it will do + so that's why I suggested the above first... Since that didn't work as Dsenette says you probably have a r- drive and you may want to check what you are suppose to have....

Oh and Dsenette a + drive will not work with - you need a +- drive to do both. The most versatile now are the Multi-layer DVD+-RW drives as they can do CD-R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
This is what the specs say in the manual and verbally from toshiba tech support and Shop Toshiba who also looked up the specs on the MX 50 - M 5 and also what the newspaer ad indicated.

"DVD Super Multi double layer + - R drive."

This drive supports the same formats as the CD-RW/DVD drive plus,
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD+R
DVD-RAM
CD-RW
CD-text
DVD-video
DVD-RW
DVD+RW
CD-R
CD-DA
CD-text
Photo CD (single/multi session)
CD ROM Mode 1, Mode 2
CD - ROMXA Mode 2 (form 1, form 2)
Enhanced CD (CD - EXTRA)

Added at the end is "Computers in this series can be configured with multiple types of optical disc drive. For more information on the optical disc drives available, talk to your dealer.

Toshiba tech support as I indicated earlier said there is no reason that the notebook should not burn dvd R+ and as I mentioned my work software tech uninstalled all of my recently installed programs and did a clean reinstall of the Restoration Disc that came with the notebook and tried out the process from this point and still the issue existed.
Thus the notebook is in the depot and I was just advised that the turn around time is 14 days for this, which is really frustrating as all of my recent work was on that computer.

I thought that I should add this info.

Thankyou.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I just got a call from the toshiba service tech advising that a new optical drive has been ordered and will be installed and tested.
He was rather vague, indicating that he is hopeful that this would resolve the problem.

I asked what the reason could be that replacement of the optical drive would not be a sure cure and he would not reply.

So I again post here wondering if any member would know what else could possibly be causing the problem since the notebook was put back via the Restoration Disc to the way it came out of the box new and this did not resolve the problem.
And now I am being told it will take 14 days to replace the drive and try it out. That is why I am wondering what else could be at issue as this notebook was previously set up with programs for my work and needless to say I am very annoyed that it is now as if it came out of the box new and I will have to ghost it back if this is a successful drive replacement and if not then I wait again for what???? they are reluctant to say that this is a definite fix as I was clear to them that I need the notebook for work as soon as possible.

I hope that someone has some ideas here.
Best Regards.

Edited by newbie geek, 31 August 2006 - 05:15 PM.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
The new optical drive did not change anything.
However we believe via discussions with the Edit Outlet and the toshiba tech to know that it is the software that is the problem both Slysofts Clone DVD and Nero.

The Source R- disc was Ty G02 and the Edit fellow that I have known for years (when I had my hi 8 and super 8 Sony corders and he used to do my editing for me) had his partner try to do that same as I was doing with their R- to R+.

His partner is more the computer savvy individual and he tried an edited R- Ty G02 as the source and attempted a burn on one of their R+ and it did not work. The same problem the tray would fly open and ask for an R- disc.
He was using their Nero 7 Corporate version.
According to the partner that I know he said that they had to make an adjustment to the Nero to have it burn to a R+, however his partner is away on holidays and does not know what the change was.

All I know is that my Nero Ultra 6 still has the internal tray and my external burners trays open when I try it and requests a R- dvd on the screen.

The one success is that my 1 Click DVD program that I purchased burns the R- to the R+ fine!!!

So right now i am using that program as my primary until I find out what I have to change in my Nero, the version I use is the 6.6.6.18, the most stable for me. My bro bought the Ultra 7 and had a horrible time getting rid of it off his PC as it was causing him mega problems, when he tried to get rid of it there were so many leftovers in the Reg even with using the Nero Clean Tool and his Reg Clean program so he is back to using 6.6.6.18 like myself and the program is humming along just like mine with no issues.
He's now out of pocket a few bucks until they fix the bugs, he has been muttering :whistling: some choice words lately!!!!

Does anyone have any idea about what could be changed in Nero to allow it to burn R- to R+ media????

Edited by newbie geek, 17 September 2006 - 02:45 PM.