Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Access with 2 HDD

• Please log in to reply

rwlewy9

rwlewy9

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just had my computer crash, and had to get a new one. My old HDD was set up with multi accounts with password security, using XP - Pro. I set up my old HDD as a slave in my new computer with has XP home. Now I am unable to access the owner files on the old HDD (slave). Need to figure out how to file share with these old HDD files and transfer to the new HDD

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It depends on what you mean by password security....I am going to guess that you're using that generally as in password protected user accounts.

Let's assume said files are in MY DOCUMENTS of the account JOHN and the old drive is now recognized by Windows as DRIVE D:

You must be a member of the LOCAL ADMINISTRATORS group

Open D drive, open DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGs folder, open JOHN. Right click on JOHN's DOCUMENTS, choose SECURITY. Add your account name by clicking the ADD button. Give yourself FULL CONTROL, by checking ALLOW.

Occassionally, you may need to take the additional step, when you've done what you've done in moving a harddrive, of removing the previous username account from the list--that account will be visible but grayed out.

rwlewy9

rwlewy9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
gerryf,

Thanks for the information, but my problem is gaining access to the folder itself. When I try to open it I get the access denied message. I have tried everything by right clicking on the folder.

Yes you are correct that I am talking about user account passwords under Documents and Settings.

rwlewy9