Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade or not? help me out.

• Please log in to reply

erik567

erik567

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I am looking to upgrade my comp(Dell Dimension 4600). I have around 500 dollars, and i dont want to spend it all, and to get a good upgrade i dont think i need to. I am not sure about a Video card, but the current vid card i have is a ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128 and i think i should upgrade.

I currently have 512, and im looking to upgrade to 2gigs, here is the ram i am looking at: http://www.crucial.c...p...0&submit=Go

I am also looking into better fans/cooling systems. I dont know anything about them, but i want to keep the system cooler.

Thing is my friend said upgrading is the worst thing to do??? does that make sense?

Thanks.

Advertisements

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
How old is the computer. Mine is a year old whent to buy a one gig of ram and was told that they had to order it cuses ti is so rare to come by sdram and for a 1 gig would have cost me 200 bucks so i thoguht that i would just build a new one.

So to answer your question i wouldnt upgreade if the pc is over a year old seeign that some things will not be compatable. THat is what sucks you ahve to check ever thing. Your friend is partaly right

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
dont bother upping the RAM to 2 gigs that is still a large amount of RAM 1 gig would be pleanty.

im thinking that your not a harcore gamer but if you are then maybe consider getting 2 gigs but still i think thats over kill

save the money and get a better video card like an X800 or even higher im guessing that your motherboard supports AGP

also what are the specs of the computer?

troppo

EL777

EL777

• Pip
  • 3 posts
IF YOU WILLING TO SPEND 400-450 JUST BUY A NEW CP
I DID SEE A COMPAQ WITH 2 GIGS OF RAM CAPABLE TO UPGRADE TO 4 GIGS 250 GIGS OF HARD DRIVE ,DVDCDR.RW AND ANY THING YOU MAY NEED