Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7 candidate1

• Please log in to reply

dpends

dpends

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Am curious if any of you have 'tested' IE7 candidate1 with respect to its stability in WinXP.?!
If so would you recommend installing it or would you wait until .... candidate 2 or whatever is 'published' before attempting to load it onto your system and or replace IE6?
Regards

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The general advice for alpha / beta / release candidate versions is to not install them on a machine you depend on

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
'Twas my gut reaction but MS did release Int Defender in beta and it got rave reviews. It seemed it was put out as either a future commercial product or something to prop up MS's security holes.
I wondered whether the IE7 beta was a tanalizing pre-release of the new VistaBrowser (or whatever they plan to call it).
Thanks and
Regards

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Defender is a different kettle of fish to IE7 RC1.

Internet Explorer hooks itself deep into Windows, functionality which is replaced or updated when IE7 goes on the system. Therefore because its a beta program, if it breaks it has more chance of screwing Windows up because Windows XP comes to depend on it.

Windows Defender, on the other hand, XP doesn't depend on it and can take it or leave it. Therefore if that breaks, it's only that that breaks and not the rest of Windows.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
That makes sense to me Neil. I'll be patient and wait since the last thing wanted at this point is something that will either slow down or screw up how WinXP runs after GTGo just helped me speed up my load/startup time from 2 1/2 minutes to about 1 minute.