Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Antivirus 2005 - starts installer

• Please log in to reply

sueshan

sueshan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
In was running Norton Antivirus 2002 for years, no problem. Yesterday I deinstalled it and installed the Norton Antivirus 2005. Newer version - better, I thought. Since then whenever I click on Outlook, Windows installer starts, then I get a Norton message "Unable to repair install, please remove and re-install". I click OK, installer hangs around for a while (or I click on Cancel), then the app starts and works OK. I run XP and Office 2003. It only happens for Outlook.

The funny things is that I also installed Norton Antivirus 2005 for a friend on a Windows 2000 machine. Same thing, but it only happens when I start Word, not Outlook. I spent 2 days trying to get rid off the problem. I followed every suggestion from Microsoft as well as other people as I thought the fault was with v2.0 of the MS Installer. I made everything run form the hard disk, changed registry entries, downloaded and run Installer Cleaner, etc, etc. Nothing worked.

Having installed Norton on my machine and getting the same problem, I think it's something to do with Norton. On my XP machine I had MS installer 2.0 and Norton 2002 for ages, no problem. The moment I installed Norton Antivirus 2005, the problem started.

Can anyone help please. I am tearing my hair out. So annoying.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at NAV options - misc options to remove tick from enable office plug in

sueshan

sueshan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the tip. I actually found the problem in another forum. Norton does not like its folder to be moved on the Start Menu from "All Programs" to somewhere else. I like to organise my stuff and pout it under "Utilities". The moment I moved it back, the porblem was gone.

I tired to edit the registry entries for the shortcut - as sugfgested on that other forum, but it didn't work for me. The ONLY thing that wokred was moving the folder back to be at the top level on the Start Menu (i.e. under "Programs".) :tazz:

Suzy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know what it was.

With NAV and Office, you can open a programme direct but if you click a Word doc in My documents NAV starts a scan and freezes the whole thing

sueshan

sueshan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you also moved the blessed folder somewhere else?? Try to move it back and see if it works OK.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I didn't move the folder, you need to stop the NAV Office plug in or I just got Panda Platinum instead

joshley

joshley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
sueshan,

A little way around this annoying problem, as I, like you, enjoy my start menu to be nicely organized (thanks btw, I was having this EXACT problem of the installer starting until I read your post and voila!).
ANYway... move the dir back to where it is SUPPOSED to be (!). BUT... go to the advanced editing of the start menu (for ease) and COPY it to where you want it to be in it's nicely organised place, then click edit and properties on the one in the root (where Norton wants it) and select 'hide'! Even if your computer is set to show hidden files and folders, it won't in the Start Menu (unless you browse to it via explorer), which is nice!

Hope this helps! :tazz:
josh

joshley

joshley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, just saw you ended your first post with 'Suzy'... but I can't see an option to edit my post, so sorry for addressing you as your username Suzy!
:tazz:
josh

sueshan

sueshan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Josh,

This is great! It worked. What a good idea. Why didn't I think of that.

Thanks!

:tazz:

Suzy
BTW. No probs about sueshan

joshley

joshley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Suzy,
Glad to have helped in return! :tazz:
josh