Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading capture card

• Please log in to reply

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I have the Winfast DTV2000H.
I 've had a few problems with it, and proably won't keep it in any futre computers. The skins are terrible, and it's not Windows Compliant and it crashes repeatedly. Does anybody have any recomendations for a better Tuner/Capture Card? I need one for use with Vista.
I paid about $150 Australian for it, something around that price range or a bit higher is ok....

Posted Image
Winfast DTV2000H

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
couple of things pop into mind here... are you using vista currently? Currently a lot of these type products are designed to intergrate in to xp media center. Driver and software may not be mature enough to use with vista, especially since its still in beta. Now if you said vista because you intend to upgrade to it in the future that will require a bit more research.

I will say I like Hauppauge: http://www.hauppauge...0_datasheet.htm
They have driver sets that work windows as well as linux. If they don't support vista yet, I am sure they will have drivers available for it soon.

Also ati all-in-wonder products have always been very good. I've used them at work to capture input from ccd camera's, among other things.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
No i'm not using Vista at the moment, XP Home, I did the Vista Upgrade advisor, and it said several manufacturer drivers are needed. I don't know about intergrating into media centre, i havn't used media centre edition before, and when I installed it windows said something like "not windows compliant, windows cannot guarantee..."etc. etc.

Im sick of the tuner, and want a new one. Something that would work well in Vista (Home premium probably), like in a xp media centre enviroment.
I'm building a rather expensive "Vista Ready" build, and it's one of the parts I'll need that I'm not currently sure I should get. Basically I use the computer alot for entertainment, so quality products are needed.

Edited by sarahw, 26 August 2006 - 10:27 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well that makes sense. the hauppauge is an add on card that works in conjuction with the video card. Whereas the ati is an inclusive product. meaning that it has everything built in.

a couple of questions to consider:
any consideration for hi-def or digitial tv? if that is the case then I would wait just a bit to let the market settle. HDMI is a new connector that is coming on scene and is the hi-def equivilant to dvi (most common connector for flat screens today).

the above listed products have consistantly rated tops in all the capture card reviews.

If you get the hauppauge you will still need to get a decent video card.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Thanks for the info starjax. It's not needed for a while, I'm just starting to put it all together now...
I will wait to see what comes out soon. and check out your recomendations.