Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help please! Can't boot into Safe Mode!

• Please log in to reply

TSD1

TSD1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Please help me...I can no longer boot into safe mode.

When I try to boot in safe mode my screen (before the initial black windows xp screen) shows a list of drivers going by from top to bottom. The last file is shows before the blue problem screen is: mup.sys. (I have no idea how relevant this is...). It then pauses for a couple of seconds and I get the "blue screen of death" telling me something went wrong and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my system.

Do you have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thank you for help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a part of an article by a MSCE on this error.

A post by Sean Branham at the Annoyances.org web site. See the full text of the thread at http://www.annoyance...nxp/t1047532372
Sean correctly determined that the cause of all these disparate "hung at Mup.sys" failures were actually caused by problem with the Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD) stored in the system BIOS.

The ESCD maintains a static list of Plug-and-Play resource allocations. This avoids recalculating all the allocations at each restart. If the ESCD gets corrupted, then the operating system cannot assign resources correctly. Windows makes this resource decision just after it loads the Mup.sys driver because that's when it loads the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) drivers.

You can download the (mercifully short) ESCD specification from http://download.micr...f3456c/escd.rtf.

Once we knew that something in BIOS might be causing the problem, solving it was a snap. We downloaded the most current firmware revision from Dell's web site and flashed the BIOS and that was that. (Some motherboards come with an ESCD rebuild option in CMOS, so it would not be necessary to flash the BIOS.) The system booted without a hitch and performance was right back to where it had been before the problems started. If it hadn't been for Sean's insight, we would have spent time and money replacing the PERC controller, which unfortunately might well have solved the problem because replacing the board would have refreshed the ESCD.

It's difficult to determine whether the system crash earlier in the week caused the ESCD problem or vice-versa, or if some other problem caused both. At this point, Anon is going to keep an eye on the system and hope for the best.

I hope you see that it is not a mup.sys error because mup.sys is the driver for the Multiple UNC Provider, which determines which network client protocol to use when the target server is specified by a UNC path such as \\Server_Name. The real error is the file that loads after mup.sys.

The first thing you should try to do is reset your cmos( bios) back to default with the jumper on the motherboard. If you still have the problem it may be a conflict with the drivers. Look in device manager for any conflicting hardware. I have read where bad memory and moving the PCI cards around in the computer have also caused the problem, but i take those with a grain of salt.

SRX660

TSD1

TSD1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help! I checked but there doesn't seem to be any conflicting hardware.

Any other suggestions? Should I try a repair installation?