Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

install gone wrong IE7

• Please log in to reply

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hiya,

OK - will have to do some more research with the help and support issue.

For the issue with system restore - follow the link below and install the file on that page named sysrestorecalendar.zip

http://www.dougknox....store_blank.htm

This small GUI (Graphical User Interface) utility will check the Registry associations that cause this problem, and notify you if they need to be corrected. You will then have the opportunity to correct them, by clicking the Repair button. This application is freeware.

This utility should repair this issue. I'll do a bit more digging with the other issue and get back to you shortly. In the meantime please update me with your progress.

Thanks

Steve
:whistling:

Advertisements

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ran the zip file and it resolved 2 registry problems, however nothing has changed either with Restore or
help and support

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I'm gonna see if i can get some more specific support by looking at the IE7 RC1 support site and see where that takes us.

Bear with me

Steve

In the mean time please do another restart....

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm not sure I was very clear about this, but I'm not currently running RC1. I uninstalled it. I'm back in IE6

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

You weren't unclear. I'm of a mind that IE7 is the route cause of your issues and am looking at what we can do to solve the issue.

I think it'd be wise for you to post on this blog;

http://blogs.msdn.co...egory/6864.aspx

This is the blog site for the developers of IE7 - If the issue is as a result of your previous dealings with IE7 as I suspect - they'll be well versed in your syptoms and a fix too!

Please let me know how it went (will help me to help others)

Stay smiley and if for any reason you need me - just post back. I'll always give you a hand. With this one - it's sounding more and more like IE7 has made registry changes that need sorting. I don't wanna play in your registry and advise you to stay away from any registry fix progs (the one earlier was fine - issue specific)

If it turns out not to be an issue relating to the uninstall of IE7 ( I had a similar issue a year ago beta testing microsoft software, vowed never to beta test again without a HUGE amount of planned support) then let me know to carry on research for you.

Cheers

Steve

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
one more suggestion for you to just check your system files that 'should be' protected.

Open a run dialogue (same as before windows key and r)

Type "SFC /Scannow" without exclamation marks and hit enter (please note the space after sfc and before the /)

This will check your protected files and reinstate any that are changed

This will find issues. Hope this one finds something that wil help. It should ask you to restart. if it doesn't - do so anyway

Steve

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hello (again!!)

How did you get on with the scan?

I hadn't realised i'd been on with you this long tonight. Anyhoo - since I have, I'm gonna concentrate on your issues this evening and catch up with other posts tomorrow.

If the scan didn't fix issues your having. I'm gonna try and reinstall scripting for windows - this should (in theory) get everything working again - as matter of interest - do you have windows media player installed - if you do does it work - or is it having the same issue? - (this would be a GREAT sign!!)

Let me know - good luck

Steve

PS I hate to give up - kind of annoying! - lets fix this together......

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
windows media player - "an internal application error has occurred"

the scan ran to completion. I REALLY appreciate all the help.

Please don't worry about this too much, I have an axe in the woodshed that should fix it all up (haha)

Edited by FNG68, 28 August 2006 - 04:22 PM.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Firstly - good to keep light hearted during all of this - Most of us have had times when we'd rather curl up and die than face one more second of grief from our OS's - this (believe it or not) relates to all OS's - just some more frequent than others.....

K - i'm gonna assume that the scan didn't repair your issues.

Please follow the link below - it will take you to a microsoft download page. You'll have to validate your copy of windows here (this won't be an issue for you as you would have had to do the same thing to qualify for the ie7 program anyway.....)

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Do so and then install and run the scripting file.

Run it and follow all prompts. After which you will definately need to reboot (been here before methinks...) once done.

Start up and watch things work like magic.....

Steve

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!! System restore is back and a restore point set. Media player is working as well as Help & Support. Thanks so much for all your help, I'm sure it was as big a pain in the keester for you as it was for me. If it's not to late for you, lift a pint for me! ( I will be doing that myself, sleeping for 2 hours and going in to make up the hours at work that I missed today).
Agai, thanks for all your efforts.

Edited by FNG68, 28 August 2006 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
You're welcome - believe it or not - it's as much of a boost for me as it is for you to arrive at a fix (and by this I mean every single time!). Having that beer right now!!

Take care, stay safe and if you need any further help - don't forget that we're here!!

Steve