Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Downloader.ab

• Please log in to reply

beachbum1616

beachbum1616

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just recently had this nice addition to my laptop and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. I have McAfee Virus Scan and it alerts me that the Generic Downloader.ab has infected the file run.exe in C:\Windows\System32\ but when I go in to delete it, the file is not present in the list of files.

The only time it seems that the thing is running is when I am online, and when I sign-off the internet, after a minute or so I get the window that asks if I want to work off-line or try my connection again. I am using IE 6.0 (I believe that is the correct version) and the virus scan only alerts me when I am using this program so I think it is embeded some how with IE? Maybe not, I am not sure.

Can anyone advise me on how to get rid of this little problem.

Thanks!

Advertisements