Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage quite high

• Please log in to reply

ziggyzo

ziggyzo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings.

I've been having problems with my computer freezing up; especially when running Ewido, Ad-aware, Spybot, AVG and other programs. They never can complete the task without my computer freezing up.

I have noticed in the Windows Task Manager that, when running Ad-aware for example, the CPU usage will nearly reach 100%.. the average usage being around 50%. I'm just a novice with the computer, but I don't think that is normal. After it sits at 100% for a few seconds, that's when I notice that my cpu freezes up.

So. What is causing this to happen? I uninstalled MSN Messenger because I never use it. I also uninstalled Windows defender because it never seems to pick up anything.. just another thing taking up CPU usage. I thought this might help.. but it doesn't.

I installed Trojan Hunter, updated it, and ran it in safe mode. It did not complete the scan because my computer froze up.

Any suggestions?

Ps. If I don't plan to re-install MSN Messenger, should I also uninstall MSN in the Add or Remove Programs tray?

Edited by ziggyzo, 27 August 2006 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum