Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using avgfree_problems installing new software

• Please log in to reply

lorimf

lorimf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A few weeks back, I had a mother board fry in an electrical storm. I have purchased a new system which is runing Windows XP Media. A techie installed for me avgfree, adaware and spybot.

I am now starting to re-install the softwares I had on my system previously. Today I tried to install Paintshop Pro X (the first one I need) and was unable to do so; it hung my system completely at the "register" point. At one point, as I tried to access the Internet thinking perhaps I didn't have a connection, I got an error message telling me it may be because of my virus protection, and to turn it off.

I can't find any way to "turn off" avg or the other two (without removing them completely) and am frankly hesitant to do so anyway.

I tried to remove and reinstall PSPX, but it is not showing as being installed so I am unable to remove it; I tried to view some of my pictures and PSPX takes over because of the associations, but never completely loads.

HELP! please.... :whistling: anything someone more knowledgable than me can suggest would be most appreciated.

Lori

Edited by lorimf, 27 August 2006 - 07:51 PM.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi lorimf. Welcome to geeks to go. click start then
control panel, click on security center, then trun off
virus protection. that should do it, if not let me know.
Don't forget to trun it back on when you are done.
:whistling:

Edited by 4238dwight, 27 August 2006 - 09:43 PM.

lorimf

lorimf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much Dwight! I'll give that a try when I get home tonight; I never thought to try XP's controls rather than the virus protection's controls...duh!

Lori

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
don't feel bad I do the same thing. let me know.
Dwight

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
on the bottom right of your screen near the time there should be a 4 color box - right click - quit avg - a pop up box will ask for confirmation - click OK.

lorimf

lorimf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Got it! Thanks, sano!