Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Problem- Blank screen!

• Please log in to reply

bebe88

bebe88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to this so bear with me. I have a Dell Inspiron 710m that came prepacked with windows XP. Right now I'm in this position where all I want to do is keep my files and programs and undo an unsuccessful restore...but when I run system restore..I get a blank window! I've searched all kinds of forums for answers and I need one thats actually fits my situation.

The problem started when I saw that my computer had used 60 gigs on Drive C even though when I opened C, all the programs only added up to 11gigs. I performed defrag, disk cleanup, virusscan, but nothing got rid of the 50gigs of hidden files. I decided it must be a side effect of all the programs I had downloaded the past month, so I restored it to a month ago before all my large program downloads, which is a week after I received my laptop in the mail. The system restore got stuck at about 95% and would not budge for 12 hours. So I shut it off myself..I know bad idea..but it was frozen. When it restarted..all these alerts of missing updates came up and when I checked Drive C, 85gigs out of 89gigs had been used!! When I resorted to undoing my system restore. I freaked out when nothing showed up. I really want my computer to just go back to yesterday's state. Please help!! The computer didnt come with any repair CDs and I want to keep my files.

-I tried running it in safe mode..blank screen.
-I tried the 3 step method that some people have suggested of running regsvr32 jscript.dll, regsvr32 vbscript.dll, regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll but only the first 2 say DllRegisterServer succeeded. For the 3rd, a box says "mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered."
-I tried booting from IE..but the it only lets me create a point, not undo or go to a restore pt.
-It has nothing to do with the Calender no loading. Its just a completely balnk window.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open My Documents, click tools, folder options, view, put the dot in show hidden files and folders, click apply, close My Documents

Click start, My Computer, double click local disc C

Right click each of the folders, click properties, wait till it completes to show size / size on disc

Which ones are larger than you would expect

bebe88

bebe88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The two largest, program files is only 4.5 gigs and documents & settings is 3.32 gigs. The other folders are only a few mb. When I go back to right click on (C:) the size used is 80 out of a possible 89.9. I understand 11.1 gigs are being used for restores. But I enabled view hidden files and no new files showed up in (C:). More importantly, my blank system restore screen seems to have no solution. My comp is only a month old so I'm just going to do a PC restore on it. I backed everything up already. Thank u very much for your help! :whistling: I'll see if this helps with the whole disk space thing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have backed everything up

Click start, help and support, undo changes to my computer with system restore, click system restore settings, turn off system restore, click apply and reboot

Run disc clean up

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.