Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Prevention

• Please log in to reply

W.Wolf

W.Wolf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I wiped and formatted my computer, re-installed, fully updated windows and various software. My problem is every so often I get 2 different windows opening multiple times these are as follows -

To help to protect your computer windows has closed this application

Application: Run a dll as an app
Publisher: Microsoft

To help to protect your computer windows has closed this application

Application: DrWatson postmortem debugger
Publisher: Microsoft

After I recieve these messages my computer freezes and when I try to end the programs I end up with the blue screen..!

I have looked around a bit and I came across various websites and forums suggesting this could be some kind of virus - for reference I am currently using kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and Adaware. As I have just formatted I found it hard to believe this could be some kind of virus until my brother admited to installing a dodgy version of musicmatch! I have removed this, could this have been the source of the problem? Also how can I solve this?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Andy

Edited by W.Wolf, 28 August 2006 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You could try System Restore. A restore point should have been created automatically just prior to installing Musicmatch, so look for a restore point which says "installed musicmatch" and choose that one to restore from. It will return Windows to the state it was in just before musicmatch was installed.

W.Wolf

W.Wolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've just checked and there isn't one, also it's hard to estimate when it was installed as I have installed other sofware both before and after my brother used the computer, so I suppose thats not really a possibility. Does this sound like a virus to you or a windows problem? there seems to be no specific trigger it happens at totally random times are there any scans you would advise?