Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems started with itunes

• Please log in to reply

Leehaa

Leehaa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Computer Wiz, could it be a quick time issue?

Would it be good to download the latest version?:

http://www.apple.com...wnload/win.html (the one without Itunes)

Cheers,

Leah

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

when I minimize the itunes window, the music still skips and comes out garbled.

So if I understand correctly, it works fine as long as the Itunes window is not minimized? If that is the case, it might be a resource issue.

But before we dig deeper, go ahead and try Leehaa's suggestion.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
That's correct.

itunes seems to work fine until I minimize the window, then it freaks out!

I successfully reinstalled Quicktime, but still no luck cause my songs still skip!

Any other leads?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try Removing Itunes, and then downloading the version of Quicktime that has Itunes bundled.

I'm going to download it and test it myself, and I am also looking at some Audio codecs, in case this doesn't work.

Let me know how it goes.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
So I uninstalled, reinstalled, but the problem persists just as before..... :whistling:

What's a codec?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Basically a codec interperets Audio or Video data for various types of encoding, compression, etc. For a more detailed explaination, you can see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

You can download the full codec pack (audio and video) from HERE

Make sure you choose the Full one.

If this still doesn't help you, we can try a different program to play your music, other than Itunes. Or, we could go back to an older version of Itunes.

Lemme know how it goes, and how you would like to procede (from the above 2 choices) if it doesn't work.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I downloaded the k-lite codec pack full, but no such luck cause itunes still hates me!

I would prefer to keep itunes because I like swapping/ stealing music through mytunes redux..... :whistling:

What I don't understand is:

itunes was working fine before I came to school, but as soon as I downloaded the new version (which I've seen others do without incidence) my computer freaks out. Why would my computer react differently to the download than someone elses?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

itunes was working fine before I came to school, but as soon as I downloaded the new version (which I've seen others do without incidence) my computer freaks out. Why would my computer react differently to the download than someone elses?

That's a good question. I will look to see what you have on your computer by examining a HijackThis log, maybe I'll spot something.

Before I get you to download and use HijackThis, try downloading an older version of ITunes:

ITunes 5 download

You will have to remove the old one before you can install this one.

Now for HijackThis:

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I uninstalled itunes and then downloaded the older edition but the problem still persists.

Hope the hijackthis logfile gives you some insight.

THanks again for all of your help so far!

:whistling:

So I can't upload the hijackthis logfile as a .txt

Geeks to Go is telling me "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension."

Not sure what to do?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's weird.

Put the HijackThis log into a Zipped (compressed) folder and try again.

Advertisements