Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts in World of Warcraft

• Please log in to reply

Papilion

Papilion

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First I appoligize if I have created a new topic when I should have attached to another post on this, I came to this forum as I saw a good post about this issue which unfortunately did not fix my situation, or at least I was unable to make it work form me.

I have been playing World of Warcraft for about 3 months and for the first 2 it worked very nicely even though I am on dial-up. However about a month ago after playing for a while my computer would drop as if someone shut the power of and then automatically reboot.

Sometimes this happens several time right when I start and sometimes not until I have played for a while.

I read the information about trying to get error codes through the blue screen method but even though I unchecked the automatic resart button I never see a blue screen.

I replaced my modem as I was never really satisfied with it, and I have the most recent driver for it. Still concerned about the connection issue I took the computer to friend's and ran the game on high speed, same issue occured.

I spent the weekend updating my BIOS my RealTec audio driver and my ATI Catalyst. I did the Catalyst update as a last resort as I read the release notes saying that there was an issue with my particular video card. On reading the post that led me to this location, I am not 100% sure my re-istallation of the audo drivers was flawless, I do not think that I removed the old one I just used the wizard Intel provided.

I used the WoW "fix my files utility" and deleted the 3 folders they recommend and emailed WoW technical people, however all I ever get from them is the automated email and never a actual reply.

After all of those updates I am getting the same problem with some added information because the system utilities program from Intel is now reset and it is showing failures from excessive temperatures in zone 1 and 2 on my board. On this particular board those zones are up around the RAM cards. The failures did not cause the restarts the alerts popped me out of WoW. I have stopped that issue temporarily by removing my side panels. This has made it very appearant that my video card is running very hot when running WoW, however when I window out to check the card temperature on the ATI utility the system fans all seem to slow down immediately and I believe everything is cooling off too quickly for me to get a real feel on that temperature.

I have a 500 watt power supply.

I will post the system information:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 2046 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz
CPU Speed: 3399.8 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio rear output
Display Adapters: RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition | RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport | WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
CD / DVD Drives: D: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B | E: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4167B
:
COM Ports: COM5 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 152.7GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 121.2GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Intel Corp.
Product Make:
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/13/05 | INTEL - 20050913
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Intel Corporation D915PBL
Modem: U.S. Robotics V92 Fax PCI

I have an appointment to take my computer to the shop I bought it from and they are really good but at the shop prices I would appreciate any guidance that would narrow the issue more.

If I missed any needed info or did not follow proper posting guidelines let me know.

Advertisements

Papilion

Papilion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
A little further information:

I updated my EQ2 and ran it for a bit this morning. I got exactly the same behaviour. After about 10 minutes poof ... directly into booting up. Looking like some type of hardware failure due to heating I guess.

Papilion

Papilion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Update:

My computer shop believes it is the video card, they are sending it back to ATI as it was under an extended warranty. I am looking for advice now on an upgrade card but I am not wanting to shell out much more than 250.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would agree with their opnion. you can get an nvidia 7800 or 7900 series cards for under 300. EVGA especially should be in your price range.

WIth ati.... I wouldn't recomend anything newer in your price range at this time.

If your system has pci express then you won't have any limitations. If it doesn't and your limited to agp, then look for nvidia 7800 or 7900gs agp cards.

Papilion

Papilion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Final

My card was 2 weeks from end of warranty, they replaced it free with a PCI Express 7600 with 256 DD3 and though it is not cutting edge it runs great and my computer runs way cooler so I am happy for now. Thanks.