Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Heat.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, my hard drive, soon to be two drives (Not improving my heat problem I bet), seem to be running a bit too hot. Speedfan reports it between 49 and 55c all the time. I can take the side off, and touch the HDD in question, and it doesn't seem that hot at all to the touch. Maybe speedfan reporting wrong?

Even Everest Home Edition says the same. my system now is a;

MSI Neo-F Conreo board
E6600 Core 2 Duo
And a 250G Western Digital HDD, with 8MB cache.
BFG 7900GT OC
Enermax Noistaker 485W
Thermaltake Armor Jr mid tower.

The tower has a front and rear 120mm fans, front intake, rear exhaust.
It's roughly room temperature in this room or a little below at all times.

Can someone please shed some light on this, or suggest some things for cooling that won't cost me an arm and a leg, just spent $2000 on his rig.

Thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Purgatory

50*C to 55*C is not critically hot, but it's headed in that direction. If you want to cool it down a bit and keep it that way, look into installing a Hard Drive Cooler.

wannabe1

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Do you have any suggestions as to coolers? 250G SATAs in that Thermaltake Armor Jr.

Thanks in advance.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would check in the bios and see if it reads the same as speedfan. I have found that speedfan can be pretty far off on some computers. I personally bought one of these infrared meters just to show people that the temps in their computer are Ok and not what speedfan says. I have found the real temp's to be up to 10 degrees cooler than what speedfan says they are. It is probably the sensors themselves that are not reading correctlyso that is why i bought the meter. I usually do this for free as it brings customers back when they want upgrades or repairs. It is a great tool to play with in the house also. I found a very hot circuit in the elec panel of my house and traced it down to weak wiring. It was hot enough to slightly melt the plastic away from the wire at a kink in the wire when the wire was installed in the house.

http://www.multimete...com/MS6530f.htm

SRX660

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
adding a 120mm fan infront of the hard drive bays, for drawing in cold air really helps. I use to have some hot hard drives too, but then i installed the optional fan in my antec sonata II and it keeps my hard drives at a cool 35. Nvm so u have added in all the fans possible... maybe changing the which slot the hard drive resides in? The sensors in the hard drives might not be the most accurate ones. Try using pcwizard and see if you get the same results. Zalman do make heat pipe hard drive coolers, they cost a bit but you get what you pay for.

Edited by †Gladiator†, 29 August 2006 - 07:10 AM.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Also make sure the air flow inside your box is good. Tidy up your data cables or get round ones instead.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Duplicate here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=771536