Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply

mark2512

mark2512

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey,
Recently Ive been having a reoccuring internet problem, originally turning my modern off and on again rectified it but recently that hasnt worked. Im on Windows XP Home and use a Wireless Modem for BT Broadband.

Basically the problem is that i can connect ot the net with usually seemingly no problem, i can log on and use msn and programmes like xfire with no problem and can also access websites but usually after a few minutes or seconds my browers (both Msn Explorer and Internet Exploror) stop displaying websites although my msn and xfire remain active and in full working order. Also I cannot connect to any online gaming servers when this happens. Ive ran virus and spyware checks and deleted all malicious software found but still it doesnt work. It must be something with my computer since my brother, on the same network has no problems with his laptop.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Cheers
-Mark

Advertisements

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
bump

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Bumps are generally a bad thing, since it looks like you're getting help (because now everyone sees you have a reply to your thread), but in this case, I'm scowering GTG in search of people to help :whistling: For future referance, if you've been waiting for more than three days, we have a special forum called The Waiting Room

Now, for your problem:

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 30 August 2006 - 11:28 AM.

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, here is the hijackthis log. Hope you can locate the problem.

Cheers
- Mark

P.S. Does this mean my Ritz crackers are safe now...

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, the Ritz crackers are safe...for now :whistling: :blink:

It looks like you got an infection, and I'd say a moderate one. But I'm not a malware expert...yet. So...

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK will do that. Now im definatly no expert but could the problem have anything to do with this which i found in the hijackthis log:
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'xfire_lsp_10650.dll' missing

It just got my attention cuz i had a suspicion that xfire might be causing the problem, Sometimes when my browser rarely works it will cease to operate as soon as xfire is connected. However there have been other times my browser doesnt work when xfires not connected, so its not conclusive.

Upgrade

Upgrade

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
He has Purity Scan, a spyware program.

This program sticks files with the names of legitimite windows files in folders in a few places on the computer.

He also has Ebates a adware program.

I see netmon.exe in the log, which is usually with another service called command. I did not see command in the log but they are almost alway togeather and I did not take a really close look at the log.

The file arpa.dll being loaded by the appinit.dll key is also bad.

drsmartloadb.exe is yet another bad file in run.

Really what I am trying to say is you got a few infections on the computer and you should take the log over to the malware section and get it instructions.

The xfire_lsp_10650.dll is reported as missing in by hijack this, might actually not be missing. If you wanted to remove the file from the LSP then you should uninstall the program. You do not want to try removing something from the LSP with either hijack this or LSPFix without first trying to uninstall the program it is associated with. Most of the time you have an LSP issue where the file is missing but the line is still there, you are not able to connect.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great analysis Upgrade :whistling:

As he re-emphasized, you are infected. It is more than just Xfire. Follow my instructions in Post #5 to get cleaned :blink: