Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 upgrade problems

• Please log in to reply

Stewart L

Stewart L

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Packard Bell PC, now out of warranty, it used to be an Intel machine, now changed to AMD after the Mobo fried, it was never used on the net, so never receieved any Microsoft updates. However after 3 years I connected it to the net and started updating (57 at the first prompt). These all went well until I installed SP2. Then my PC continued to reboot. After turning off automatic reboots I got the fabled Blue screen of death, where I managed to read the following error message - Stop 0x0000007e (0xc0000005,0xf88da430,0xf88da12c). Searching the MS help and support suggests that the problem lies with a Sysprep install originally by Packard Bell for an Intel machine and that it conflicts as I now have an AMD machine. Packard Bell don't seem to be able to help as it is now considered not to be a NEC system.

Is there a fix somewhere to change sysprep from Intel to AMD, can I safely remove sysprep? bearing in mind that I only have a recovery disc and not a full XP CD as it is an OEM system (which the nice guys at MS allowed me to revalidate), if so how do I do it?

The Packard Bell is a second PC, that I want to have up and running as a nice surprise the next time my son comes to stay with me next weekend. :help

HELP HELP HELP - EXTREMELY DESPARATE:

Edited by Stewart L, 29 August 2006 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements