Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Watch Videos

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Whenever I go to a website that has a video I want to watch and I click on the link and it takes me to another page where the video will play, all it says is opening media however it never actually plays it. I was wondering if anyone has ran into this before and if so what's the fix for it? Any help would be realy appreciated thank you.

Advertisements

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Anyone Please?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What is your default player? do these sites require Java? Which browser are you using? Will it work in an alternative browser?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

What is your default player? do these sites require Java? Which browser are you using? Will it work in an alternative browser?

My default player is WMP no these sites do not require java. I'm using IE I have actually tried firefox and the same thing happens. Do you have any ideas

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do? Any help would really be appreciated.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
what version of media player do you have?
if it's 9 or less upgrade it to 10 or the 11 beta version
if you have 10 (or 11 beta) reinstall it
i had the same problem but when i reinstalled media player it worked fine

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

what version of media player do you have?
if it's 9 or less upgrade it to 10 or the 11 beta version
if you have 10 (or 11 beta) reinstall it
i had the same problem but when i reinstalled media player it worked fine

I'm actually using 11 beta right now. it works fine when I'm watching my own videos or music, but when I go to a website where you have to stream the video through a webpage it doesnt work. Where do I go to remove the windows media player I so I can reinstall it I didn't see in under add and remove programs? Thanks for the help

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
go to: http://www.microsoft...d/download.aspx
download it

it should be fine if you install it "over" - just double click the install program and let it do its stuff

scott

Edited by scott452, 06 September 2006 - 12:43 PM.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

go to: http://www.microsoft...d/download.aspx
download it

it should be fine if you install it "over" - just double click the install program and let it do its stuff

scott

Ok so I'm still running into the same problem after I did what you told me to do. For instance if I go to flurl.com and look up something and want to watch a video it doesn't allow me to, this isn't the only website either I'm not sure what else to do. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions. I would really appreciate it., thank you.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
1) Uninstall the player. You should see the media player in the add/remove programs (it definetly should be there). Then reboot.
2) Then download CleanUp from http://www.stevengou.../CleanUp452.exe . Then install it, run it (by pressing cleanup) log off, then log on.
3) Then go to http://www.tune-up.c...ownload/tu2006/ , enter your info to be able to download it. Install it and eventually open the program. Click Clean up & repair on the left, click tuneup registrycleaner, then click next. It will scan your computer. When its finished, delete the registry keys.
4) Now reboot. (hopefully that will get rid of some unwanted media player data)
5) Now install media player (it should be version 10 or preferably 11 beta)

If that doesn't work, then i'm stumped. Is there any infomation shown in the video space

p.s. you can uninstall the software, although they are quite useful for making the computer clean of data that slows it down.

Scott