Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with cpu info

• Please log in to reply

13urton

13urton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, im picking out the parts for a computer that I(or a store) is going to build. I know quite a bit about software, but I hardly know anything about hardware. Im building this PC with the purpose of gaming.

I was thinking about getting the AMD Athlon 64 FX. This is where I get confused. There is so many different types of processors, like there is the Athlon 64 and the Athlon 64 X2, I have no idea what the difference is between the two. Like when you search for "AMD Athlon 64 X2" on newgg.com, theres three pages full of different kind of CPUs, and besides price, they all look the same to me.

Could someone please explain the soclet type thing, and which is the most current one and which is the best one to get.. All of this is very overwhelming from the "outsider" point of view. If someone could link a guide that explains all of this nice and clear or explain it, that would be great.

Edited by 13urton, 29 August 2006 - 11:43 AM.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.tomshardw...ts_summer_2006/
a very complete chart of all avaliable cpus.
the x2 means it's dual core (2 chips in one) this allows for better multitasking.
Right now the king of all cpu's are the intell core 2 duo series they cost for your purposes a e6400 or e6600 will be more the enough. $300-400. They can out perform the best amd's out there. However because of the realease of the core 2 duo, the price of the amd chips have dropped significantly. So if you don't care about getting the best of the best than there's nothing run with grabbing a high end amd 4800x2 or 5000x2 for very very good prices.

Edited by †Gladiator†, 29 August 2006 - 11:53 AM.