Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E. opening very slow, Firewall often disabled

• Please log in to reply

bartnoel

bartnoel

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
After vacation updated my McAfee and Spy Sweeper. First there appeared a conflict between the new McAfee and Spy Sweeper. That was (apparently) resolved automatically after another update. However two issues constantly pop up:
1- McAfee often (not always) gives a warning that the firewall is disabled after start-up. I did not switch it off. It seems as it the firewall automatically switches off when shutting down
2- If I click my I. Explorer shortcut (one of the 2) it literally takes sometimes more than a minute to open. Other programmes do not have that problem (Windows Eplorer for example). Can this have anything to do with the new Spy Sweeper or McAfee?

regards,

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is there a way to disable spysweeper to check if its one of your problems

maybe new updates are in conflict

Edited by rushin1nd, 29 August 2006 - 10:59 PM.

bartnoel

bartnoel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi, and thanks for your reply. I shut down spy sweeper but it does not appear to influence the loadiong of I.E.

Moreover, sometimes when I want to shut down the computer and all programmes have (long been) closed properly, it sometimes still gives this message that I.E is not closed and that the comp will close it now or if you click 'end' you will loose data etc. etc, that window.

So it does appear as if it is an I.E problem, but it was working fine before and I did not install anything except updating Spy sweeper and McAfee.

And then there still is the issue that the Firewall is often (not always) disabled and McAfee notifies on that. That firewall should simply always be on and I did not shut it down.

Any other suggestions? I don't think it is a virus etc.

Cheers

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you ste your firewall through your control panel

click on firewall and click recommended settings click ok

bartnoel

bartnoel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sure, I know, and it is already and always set to 'On'. But still...

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
check to see if mcafee firewall is on 2 firewall or antiviris programs can conflict each other use only one firewall one antiviris program

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 August 2006 - 10:55 PM.

bartnoel

bartnoel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I don't think I have a McAfee Firewall. Can't find it in my Security centre.

bartnoel

bartnoel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hm, no suggestions?