Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

avg free stopped working

• Please log in to reply

GenniB420

GenniB420

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My system has been running slowly. I restarted it today and it took a long while to recover, when it came back up there was an error msg. about an .exe program that could not run and windows is shutting it down.
I then ran an avg free update and I received a message from the program that said there was something wrong and I should re-instal it. So I tried this and during the installation process I get a message that says there was an error and it can not complete.
Can you please help me determine if this is a problem with spyware/virus or if its a system problem. Thanks a million!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:28:56 PM, on 8/29/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\hidserv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\ptssvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\VERIZO~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Genni1\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;<local>
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VerizonServicepoint.exe] C:\Program Files\Verizon\Servicepoint\VerizonServicepoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [A Verizon App] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\VERIZO~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Fleet - http://download.game...s/y/fltt3_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! MahJong Solitaire - http://download.game...s/y/mjst4_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1153793409453
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF148DBB-5B6D-4130-B2A1-661571E86260} (Playtime Games Launcher) - http://download.game...ameLauncher.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: EFS - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\sclgntfy.dll
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ptssvc - KODAK - C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\ptssvc.exe

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
I see no signs of malware in your log. While this sounds like a software issue to me, we can proceed to double check your system if you like.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report
Regards,
Matt