Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help in partition problem... help..

• Please log in to reply

geekako

geekako

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
can anyone help with this...

i partitioned my hard disk into 2. the one is for the OS and programs and the other for my files. i did that so that my files can be safer if ever my OS had a problem...

My OS did had a problem so I decided to reinstall my OS so I reformated the partition and what happened is that the partition for files became drive labeled as C:// and I can't change it. So i decided to install first the OS on drive D:. But when I am trying to interchange the drive letter, it said that i can't change a bootable drive. drive D has the OS so I know i cant change that but when i tried to change C: (the one with the files) it said it is a bootable drive...

Can i do something to interchange the drive letters... in any way.
BTW, the files partition is too big (100Gb) so its hard to back that up in a cd.

sorry for the long story.....

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
As far as I know, the ONLY drive letter that you cannot change is C:. So really your only option is to install the OS on C and move your files to D. How much data do you have on your files partition?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There isnt really any rule saying the OS has to be on C it works on D or any other letter usually the biggest hassle is having to sometimes change file directories in installs to D but that wont be that often.

You could probably change it with something like partition magic it has the tools to change it but to be honest i would just leave it as is.

Its probably arisen because you partitioned your data partition as a bootable system partition i do it as just in case so i can stick another OS on just in case you can get round that by making it a logical partition rather than system it means only data can be stored in it cant be used for an OS as is. But you would need to back up your data that is normally a destructuve process.

Its agood idea to backup the data to an external media like DVD because while a extra partion protects data from OS failure it doesnt protect it from HDD failure the average lifespan of a hard disk is 3 to 5 years so you might maybe want to consider backing to dvd or another HDD sa well. I prefer DVD because its less moving parts and is a movable medium. Itll take about 23 DVD-5s to back that up and its about 10 quid for 50 so its a cheap option.

Ive got a 200Gb HD which is 3/4 full but ive got 63 full DVDs of backuped data that was on my HDD or still is and i just build that up i try to burn a couple of dvds a week if ive got alot of stuff not backup and when you do it like that its not that much of a chore really.

geekako

geekako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i guess you guys are ryt. im gonna leave it like that