Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overclocking

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
hello im looking to to get started on speeding up my cpu but i cant seem to find any relevent options in my bios is it possible that i cant do because my pc is off the shelf so to speek.. its a dreaded dell dimensions 4600 ive upgraded the bios to the most recent version that dell offer and that went well. but its a couple of years old now.
its got a intel P4 3.06GHz.
is it possible that someone can help..

And have i posted this in the right place..

Thanks. :whistling:

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
cpuz offers lots of options for ocing
http://www.cpuid.com/

for video cards. i suggest ati tool if u have an ati card.

Before overclocking make sure that your computer has sufficient cooling so downloading speed fan and checking out your temperatures will allow you to overclock safely.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to overclock? like to you find things running slow? there are a lot of options for improving system performance before turning to overclocking. Things such as defragmenting the hard drive, tweaking windows will provide better and safer results than ocing.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i defrag ruguarly as in once a week and that seems to keep it pretty tidy.. i keep my system cool anyway ive added a zalman fatal1ty so its pretty cool in there. but i could probabably do with , well actually i know i could do with a new graphics card but i just cant affored one.just got married so 150 sheets on a decent new card aint gonna happen. im currently running a nvidea fx5200 so its quite old.

The reason i need it to work a bit better is ive just started playing guild wars and its just not quite as smooth as i would like.

every now and then there is the odd frame jump but i assume thats just down to slow frame rates.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well ocing the cpu will get u a bit of improvment in games. but for the best results upgrading the vid card is the best option. More ram is definitely good, so add 2 sticks of 512s or 1 1 gig and you should see some performance increase. try overclocking that 5200 and see if you can squeeze out a few extra fps out of it.

Zalmans are always good. especially for ocing. My computer is filled with zalman products. i can push my 3ghz cpu to 3.6 with only slight temp increase with my cnps9500 and my video card has a vf900 that allow me to overclock it to the limit (it's not a very good card anyways x1600pro)

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
how do i go about oclokin the graphics card.. i havnt looked to much into that..

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
and how do i use this clockgen program.. i think im going to need running through this..

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.xbitlabs....y/oc-guide.html
http://www.techspot....ce-Fx-5200.html

top one is for cpu and the bottom one is for your 5200

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
its a 4600 not a 5200 i must have typed it wrong..

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
er you meen the 5200 graphics card..(duh stupid me!!)

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i would suggest the rivatuner for your gfx card, but be careful with how far you push it as i don't think ur card has a temp probe. Don' want u to burn ur vid card.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well ive managed to clock the card by quite a few MHz actually well over a hundred extra MHz on core clock freq and memory clock freq..
I just cant overclock the cpu as the program recomended doesnt support my chipsets.. :whistling:
nevermind ill have to look at otherways..

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
is there any other programs or possible ways that i can speed up my pc..

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
I wouldnt push your CPU to far being a dell the power supplies they put in them are rubbish and they are heavily under rated sure you might be able to get a bit out of it but all im saying is dont expect miracles

troppo

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
OK i dont want to push it to the point of explosion but i would like to gain a bit more speed but i could do with squeezing a bit mor umph out of it is there any options in windows that can be don to make it a little faster..

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
www.extremetech.com
and look for the article called hack your xp it has a few nifty things that will improve system performance in general, but not in games