Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 10

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You may need to tick show updates in add and remove for 10 to show

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I may have missed someone saying...uninstall all versions of Windows Media Player...return to WMP V9 and only use it. That is the only way I solved the problem. MS is not making any money off those of us who just listen to the great internet radio stations, so they have not put it in later versions. There are also a few great streaming copiers out there, that will make files for you taken straight from the down stream of the media file, which later you an edit to form your own disks... :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 02 September 2006 - 12:29 AM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Just tried to download Windows Media Player version 9 and I am advised that version 9 is no longer available for Windows XP.

Wayne

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you downloaded 10 then uninstalling it would roll back to the previous version, presumably 9

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
This morning I tried downloading and installilng Windows media Player 10. It does not show up on add/remove programs. So I tried downloading and installing from http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/ and I saved it to "C", but after download was supposed to take place, it doesn't show up anywhere under "all prgrams" and does not show a shortcut on Desktop.

I tried pulling in that radio station www.kbon.com again and Windows Media Player opened up but same messge received that player lists cannot be played.

Its almost as if the computer is not allowing me to download and install any programs.

Please advise

Wayne

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I just did the following: My Computer>Explore>Downloaded Program Files and got the following reading: WUWeb Contrrol C. Damaged 172 KB 08/27/2006

I further checked under "My Computer>C" and got this info. I have an icon for VIC.0.9.5-Win 32

Now what. I can't seem to remove wiindows media player as it seems to be part of Windows XP

Wayne

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got show updates ticked in add and remove

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Yes updates are ticked in add/remove. But I downloaded and installed Wiindows Media Player 10 and now its working. But I guess this problem with WUWeb control is another problem that should be redirected to another posting.

Waynf

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Well obviosly the problem is not fixed. I was inactive all afternoon and now Windows Media Player is giving same message as before and won't play playlists.

Wayne

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Just played radio station on Media Player 9 for half an hour and when I tried to reduce pane, lost station and could not rebuffer or reload. Same old message returned. "Windows Media Player cannot play player lists"

Waynf

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Having trouble dual-tasking, but Media Player will run upon reboot and then if I select different playlist I lose station .

It was just working because I did a reboot.

Waynf

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
WMP is not a stable player of anything...thus the follow-up versions that spoke to the "needs" of the most number of clients...you folks that like the MP3 con game. I have to reload mine at least once a week. Do a full registry edit to remove all traces of it. I depend on Registry First Aid of my first line of defence. It is less about bells and whistles than some other products.

Also check to see if you have some software set up to clean your caches and "footprints" after you shutdown your browser. If so, that, more than likely, is what is wiping your stations. Took me a while to figure that one out too. Now, there may be other causes, but I am not aware of them YET...

Mil Shield, from Mil Incorporated, does a very nice job... as does Anonymizer. You can do it manually, of course, but I am lazy.

...Al

Edited by b1caez01, 01 September 2006 - 03:14 PM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Could this have anything to do with using CCleaner to clean out urls and such?

Waynf

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
For sure...but I am no expert when it comes to CC

Edited by b1caez01, 01 September 2006 - 03:28 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Also check the "connections" tab in the setup part of it. Sometimes it will fire up on a mode that was not part of the initial setup...for example, you get your connection setup just so, then you go back in there and find that your connection has been kicked out and a proxy setting is ticked off...now, how that happens is beyond me...but it happens...