Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply

Ryan Damage

Ryan Damage

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently added on a second SATA HDD to my computer. It's a 320 GB Seagate. After running DiscWizard and getting Windows to recognize it, I see that it only recognizes the HDD as having 127 GB of storage. Which made me think of something that happened when I first got this computer, when I bought it it came installed with Windows Media Edition. It had a 250 GB HDD inside of it. I decided I didn't want to use Media Edition and wiped and installed Windows XP. Now after doing this my HDD only registered at having 127 GB of space. Obviously a problem, but for whatever reason I didn't persue it and hadn't thought about it again until now.

My first thought was that this should be a BIOS related problem. But then how was the motherboard able to recognize the first HDD's size with Media Edition?

If anyone has any insight or solutions into this it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing i would check is look in disk management and see if the drive is formatted as fat32. Fat32 cannot see any drives larger than 127G. If it is switch the drive over to ntfs file system.

SRX660

Ryan Damage

Ryan Damage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just looked in disk management and it says that it is formatted using the ntfs file system.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Windows XP, without Service Pack 1 or a suitable modification, will not see more than 137GB on one drive. If your drive is more than 137GB in size and is showing as 137GB then this is probably your problem. This is a limitation in Windows XP that is fixed in service pack 1.

Windows XP SP1 includes 48-bit LBA support for ATAPI disk drives. With this support, you can use hard disks that are larger than the current 137 GB limit. By default, support is enabled in SP1. To determine if you are running SP1, right-click My Computer and then click Properties. On the General tab, Service Pack 1 will be listed under "System."

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 31 August 2006 - 04:18 PM.

Ryan Damage

Ryan Damage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was out of town for a few days, so haven't replied, but just wanted to let you know this fixed the problem and thanks for your help!