Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply

tobinandy

tobinandy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I upgraded Web Root and when the system rebooted I got a message of reinstall
<windows root>system32\hal.dll File missing or corrupted. I booted off the windows
disk entered recovery console and ran chkdsk /p /r. It found one error and fixed it.
When it rebooted the same message came back. How would I reinstall system32\hal.dll
When safe mode doesn't work and I can't get in.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tobinandy...

This problem can be caused by a couple of different things...a bad boot.ini file or a missing/damaged hal.dll file. You have a few options to fix this issue.

Modify the boot.ini using Recovery Console...
Microsoft Procedure

Replace Hal.dll...
Boot from your Windows XP CD.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
Once you have expanded the file type exit to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Repair Installation...
REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

The repair is probably the easiest option if your installation cd supports it.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 31 August 2006 - 07:43 AM.

tobinandy

tobinandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. But When I type the "expand d:\i386 ......." I get the message "access denied"
I also get access denied when I try to change directory in C:\.

Repair on my xp cd is not available. Ps. this is service pack 1