Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

icecoolkitten

icecoolkitten

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys, im after some advice if anyone has got some handy?!

my computer has been left unused in my spare room since november last year as it wont turn on, i tried different cables etc but to no avail. my boyfriend has now decided enough is enough and he took it down to the computer place. they phoned today and said that it needs a new motherboard and this will cost £159 to sort out. the other option is to just pay the £25 'diagnosis' fee and bring the broken pc home.

what do you guys advise? shall i just pay the £159 and have it sorted or is a new motherboard something that i would be able to get hold of and fit with relatively no problems??

cheers for any input!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

tortthing

tortthing

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
No way icecoolkitten, you have no option i would think to pay the £25, but i would get a second oppinion first, or if you are confident enough check the Battery on the mother board first.

icecoolkitten

icecoolkitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the boyfriend has given me more info now........... apparently its something to do with the graphics card on the motherboard???
is that any help?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Something wrong with the graphics card and they want to replace the mobo seems odd. Is it integrated or a card, also that alot for a new mobo even brand new top of the line ones usually dont cost that much i wouldnt expect a replacement to cost more than £50 at most.

Get the guy at the shop to give you a detailed report as to what is wrong and what steps he took to come to his conclusions.