Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drive stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Fireball

Fireball

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a 256MB Imation USB 2.0 Swivel Flash Drive which I have been using for about a year now. Just yesterday I had plugged it in my computer at home and it worked fine. Hours later at school the Mac computers could not read the USB Drive (it used to be able to). When I got home and tried it on my computer it didn't work. The computer recognises the USB drive but cannot display the files (when I try to open the drive it says "Please insert a disk into drive E:"). I don't know what the problem is? Any help appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I have never been a macintosh user, but I sort of took it for granted that Windows cannot read Macintosh-created files, and vice-versa, without the aid of special software. Have I been wrong all these years?

Edited by pip22, 01 September 2006 - 02:06 PM.

Fireball

Fireball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I mostly save Microsoft Office files on both platforms, and they work fine. (well they used to, before this problem) I don't know, maybe you're referring to something else.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I had that problem before with my first USB drive I ever purchased. You probably have to buy a new USB drive.

Also, they can break if you like step on it or you drop it in the water.

I put my current USB drive in the washer before and it didnt get mess up.

Did you hate it when you break something that's easily as a cell phone? :whistling:

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 01 September 2006 - 06:03 PM.

Fireball

Fireball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've put money in the washing before. Hehehe..though I don't think I've ever misplaced electronic equipment in there.
Getting another USB is fine with me, but my main concern is whether I can still retrieve my files in the USB. They're pretty important. (Note so self: back up everything -_-)

Fireball

Fireball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey everyone, I just discovered something. In the Disk Utility application (from Mac OS X) there is an option to erase, and under Security Options there is one option where the directory information will be deleted but data will remain in the USB. So if I formatted my USb using this option, is there still a chance of retrieving my files?

I had taken a screenshot but I couldn't get it back home because, well, my USB doesn't work. Oh the irony.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Once your drive is formatted though, All the files are erased from the drive you just formatted.