Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets try this
comctl32.dll
You need to download this file to a floppy then unzip it. start the computer in dos mode.
Start tapping F8 when you turn the computer on. On the screen pick (5) command prompt only.
C:>cd windows\system enter
c:\windows\system>rename comctl32.dll comctl32.old enter
put the floppy with the unzipped comctl32.dll in to the A: drive
C:\windows\system> A: enter
A:>copy *.* c: enter
A:>c: enter
C:\windows\system>dir comctl32.dll enter
you should get a listing of 1 file. If yes the reboot if not retrace and make sure of your spelling.

If you want when you rename the file to old then you can check by C:\windows\system>dir comctl32.old enter this should list the file as old. If you make a mistake and can't work out what went wrong it is most likley in your spelling. we can always rename the old back again.

Advertisements

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm ready to give it a shot but before I do, I have two questions:

1. Couldn't I select the option (in the Start menu) to re-start the computer in MS-DOS mode?

2. You recommended the following: put the floppy with the unzipped comctl32.dll in to the A: drive
C:\windows\system> A: enter
A:>copy *.* c: enter
A:>c: enter
C:\windows\system>dir comctl32.dll enter

Shouldn't the third line read: A:>copy *.* c:\windows\system enter ? Otherwise, it seems the file would be copied into the root directory when it belongs in the windows\system folder.

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
One other detail -- I just noticed that my windows\system folder contains the following two files:
comctl32.ocx and comctl32.oca ..... I can't find a .dll file with that name.

??

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Pirate
1) When you start the computer did you start tapping F8 ? this gives the menu to pick safe mode or command prompt(dos).
2) If not do you have the option to start windows then go start>run>then type in command ok
Once you change C:> to C:\windows\system then go to A: When you copy as
A:>copy c:*.* this will go to the C:\windows\system folder as that was the last folder you had open on c: but if you have doubts you can also copy the way you said.
3) As for those other 2 files are you running office 2000 or visual basic?

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Howdy, Peterm ...........

I got the .dll file unzipped and, working in DOS mode, renamed and replaced the existing one. Then rebooted and everything worked fine -- until I had occasion to use Windows Explorer. I had to do a little bit of file manipulation and -- right in the middle of it -- the error message displayed and Explorer shut itself down.

3) As for those other 2 files are you running office 2000 or visual basic?

No. I'm not sure how those files got there.

Is there anything else I could try?

Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Pirate
Did you Uninstall or install any programs before this started to happen more often I know you have had the error for a while but has anything changed just before it became more frequent.
Cheers
Peterm

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm sure that something specific has caused it but the onset of the problem was so gradual I couldn't tie it to anything specific.

I only know the following: it can occur at any time but usually happens when Win Explorer is running and usually the message advises that "explorer" has caused it. About 50% of the messages are received, it seems, while I'm trying to close Explorer, although the others come at less opportune times, causing loss of time and data.

I have now installed software for a digital camera and I find that Windows Explorer is essential for dealing with the image files it produces. I can get very little done when Explorer keeps committing illegalities and taking itself out of memory.

Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
The only only option I can think of now is a hijack log in malware.
There is a virus that causes page faults but not yours exactly.
I will ask Wannabe1 to have a look at this.
You say you do not have a cd for 98 have you checked to see if the files are on the computer already. ?

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Peterm:

Tell me which files to look for and where to look and I'll let you know if they're here.

thanks,
Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
normal place is in a folder called options
or search for cab files

Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Howdy, Peterm ...

I've got CAB files, all right -- 167 of them, to be exact, in OPTIONS, SYSBCKUP, Windows Update and several other folders.

Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets try
Start>run sfc.exe ok
Choose scan for altered files. If it scans and ask to replace files point to the options folder

Cheers
Peterm

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, Peterm ...

As recommended, I ran SFC.EXE. The scan completed successfully -- no files were replaced.

Pirate

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dchord44...

Looks like you guys have been all over this one. Let's take a look at whats running on there.

Please download and run HiJackThis on the machine. Save a log and attach it to your next reply.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2006 - 09:47 PM.

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Attached File  hijackthis.txt   4.15KB   421 downloads[attachmentid=10666log file is attached ........