Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot connect

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
my computer is connected through dsl. i have a usb wirelses adapter hooked up to it as well. im trying to get my laptop to connect but all it says is "aquiring network address" then it fails to connect. i manually put my ip in and also tried it automatically. i pretty much tried everything i can think of. need some help!!!

throw me some ideas/suggestions...

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You say you have the high speed connection, as well as an adapter, but do you have a router?

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
no i dont have a router. do i need one? i didnt think i would one since the laptop has wifi. the laptop picks up the signal from the main pc but does not connect.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhmmm... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you will always need a router to make this work...

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
your right. but wouldnt the wireless usb adapter hookedup to the main pc compensate as a router? correct me if IM wrong.

Edited by hyeone, 01 September 2006 - 08:27 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yep. From what I know, the adapter only strengthened the signal, and it needs to be plugged into the router for it to work. I think you need a router bud :whistling:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I would think that since you could set up ICS for wired connections and wireless cards send and recieve and XP has routing services that it's a matter of configuring the software. since a wireless card is effectively a second NIC and the wired NIC could serve as the connection to Internet. Some of the wireless cards I've looked at have WAP (wireless access point) capabilities and there are external dedicated Access Points generally cheaper then a router (but not buy much). http://www.google.co...n-US:unofficial
There is a fairly interesting How TO for the Playstation that might be useful.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
thanks peoples