Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop not sensing network port

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi.
I have this toshiba laptop, windows me, 750 mhz with 192 m ram, connected to web on insight cable bb. Recently did a clean reinstall, and had trouble. Did get it running somewhat right finally.

Anyway, now it does not sense the network or ethernet port, (not sure really what it is called, but it is like a phone connector, only wider.) I had to connect to my RCA model DCM425 cable modem with the usb port. (the original problem after the reinstall was "explorer caused an error in <unknown>" when I tried to add the cable modem. I could <i>only</i> make it work right by using the usb port and adding it before zonealarm firewall.

Okay so anyway, what do I need to do to turn that back on?

When I plug everything in it does not automatically sense it. When I try to search for new hardware, it does not find it, & I do not know what the thing is called to manually add it. There is no RCA or thompson cable modem on any list of add hardware that I can find.

It defineately worked before, so I doubt it is really "broken"

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try using Everest Home 1.51 or Belarc Diagnostic Tool to detect the hardware. Could you provide the model of the computer you have, and whether it is an AMD or Intel chip?

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
This shows it is a celeron 700 Mhz chip.
Hardware in the network section shows dial up adaptor and the usb rca cable modem. It most definately used to show different network hardware before.

Is there some other hardware to look for? Dont I need to use "add hardware" or something to get that back?

I need to get this back on its own plug like it was so I can use the usb port for other things.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
The port you described as like a telephone port but wide is called an Ethernet port or RJ45 connection. It is your network connecton. In the Device Manager it should be listed as the Network Adapter.
What is the model number of your notebook computer? I can help you if I knew what model Toshiba computer you have.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
It is the toshiba 1755.

In device manager, under network adaptors, it shows rca usb modem and dial up adaptor only.

How do I turn the ethernet plug back on?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I have located the drivers if you care to download them and try a manual install? Once you have download and unzipped them to a folder on your computer use the upgrade feature in the Device Manager to install the drivers. When prompted select "Have disk.." and use the browse button to select the folder you have the drivers in.
If you cannot find the adapter in the Device Mangaer you willhave to use the "Add Hardware" feature in the Control Panel.

http://www.csd.toshi...u...gmn.0&ct=DL

Edited by acklan, 10 September 2006 - 01:56 AM.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
What is the upgrade feature in device manager? Is that the same as updating drivers? The ethernet port never shows in device manager under network devices. Is this thing a port or a network device?

Anyway when I DL the drivers, unplugged everything. Reconnected the ethernet cable to the modem box, powered everything on tried home networking wizard, did not see the port/modem. Tried serching for hardware, nada, went to add hardware, have absolutely no idea what I am adding, so I added nothing.

So I clicked the driver file, got a screen telling me it was installed, to restart, which I did. Started getting ther same "explorer has caused an error in unknown" warnings again, screwed up everything to the max.
I did a sysytem restore and a bunch of other stuff (reinstalling the modem usb port and network wizard). finally to get it going again on the usb port.

What in the world am I doing wrong? Is there some certain order to do this in? Should I not connect everything and power it on first or what?

If I go to add new hardware manually, what device, brand name and model am I adding? Is this a port or a network adaptor or what?

There is NO RCA cable modem listed in the choices for hardware. There is no "ethernet" port listed anywhere I can find.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
When you run the Add Hardware select the Network Adapter. It will ask if you want Windows to auto detect. Chek the box under that No, you want to select the hardware to be installed. When the Have Disk tab is shown select it and point to the drivers you have downloaded.
The modem will not be listed. It will only show if it is connected via USB.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well whatever... no matter how I try it it keeps giving the message "explorer caused an error in <unknown>"