Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Pro Repair Installation Glitch

• Please log in to reply

denregan54

denregan54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Due to poor performance recently ( Hangups, crashing etc ) I decided to attempt a Repair Install of XP Pro.
Everything goes fine up to 34 minutes to go while 'Installing Devices '

A notice pops up ' The software you are installing for this hardware (nVidia GeForce 6600 GT ) has not passed Windows Logo Testing etc .Do you want to continue installing the software YES/NO ?'

Just before the notice displays the mouse pointer freezes and then all keyboard input appears to be frozen.

I am unable to proceed and I am wondering if there is a setting in BIOS which may be relevant ?
I am obviously extremely reluctant to carry out a clean install as my data is at risk ( although some backed up recently ) Any help or advice much appreciated.

Edited by denregan54, 03 September 2006 - 06:11 AM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
How did you resolve this problem? :blink:

As I see no accompanying posts, I assume that it was resolved. :whistling:

denregan54

denregan54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have had no response so far and the problem remains - I'm living in hope !

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you set it to use onboard graphics in BIOS

Have you opened a PC case before

denregan54

denregan54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith
Thank you for your input. Since my last post I have taken my PC apart and I decided to upgrade the CPU as well as adding a new SATA HDD.
The problem with the original C drive remains and I propose loading the OS on the new drive and changing the staus of the original to SLAVE. What are the chances of seeing the old drive on Windows Explorer on the new system and more to the point, being able to access the data ?
Incidentally, the board is fitted with a nVidia 6600GT graphics board.
Many thanks.
Denis

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to access the data either straight off or with this

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

When you access a file or a folder in your system, you may receive an error "Access Denied", which indicates that you don't have permissions to access that folder or the file. The error is seen is after you reinstall Windows XP and try to access your old profile. If you are an Administrator (or Administrator-level User account) and want to access the contents of the folder, you can take ownership of the folder or file.

You must be logged on to the computer with an account which has administrative privileges.

If you use XP Home Edition, start the computer in safe mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

For XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab.

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start, click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

To take ownership of a folder:

Right click the folder you want to take ownership of, then click properties.

Click the Security tab and click OK on the security message, (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

Click OK, then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

To take ownership of a file:

Right click the file you want to take ownership of, then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file.

toasale

toasale

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Regarding the concern for lost data, documents, etc., try booting into "Safe Mode" ( continously tap the "F8" key as your're booting and choose "Safe Mode") and backup all of this. Run a deep virus scan on these items before restoring them.

denregan54

denregan54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith and toasale,

Thank you for your responses.

Safe Mode was not available on boot, just Windows XP Pro. The boot proceeded to a black screen with mouse pointer ( not frozen ) and that was the extent of it.

My PC is on the bench and I am upgrading the CPU as well as fitting a new HDD.
When assembled , I intend putting the OS on the new Samsung drive and hoping that I can see the old drive.

I will go through the procedure you suggest.

Hopefully, I will be back within 24 hours to report on the situation !

Many thanks, everyone.