Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Registry Entries

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
That is why I wanted to know what happened.
Something may have happened to the entry in your favorites.
I've never seen anything like this before so we'll have to fly by the seats of our pants.

At least you can look up your favorite teams again. That is one plus-point. :whistling:

Advertisements

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

That is why I wanted to know what happened.
Something may have happened to the entry in your favorites.
I've never seen anything like this before so we'll have to fly by the seats of our pants.

At least you can look up your favorite teams again. That is one plus-point. :whistling:

I replaced the bookmark/favorite with the Google search for the NFL website. However, that still didn't fix things so it wasn't anything to do with the long time bookmark page. I thought you might actually have some ideas to what might cause this problem so that's why I asked you about the URL I was using in which causes the crashing. I'll replace the boomark I just used with the link you provided & see what that does. I know this is definitely weird to you as well. I've been to tons of other websites & there is absolutely no problems accesssing those sites at all. I'm about to pull my hair out over this one. It's like something that's being run from that website homepage is causing the crashes from the browsers. Thanks again! :blink:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
If it was only IE or FireFox, I would agree with you.
But both of them??

And the page works fine with my IE and Opera.

Keep me posted on your test-results.
If I get any bright ideas :whistling: I'll post here as well.

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

If it was only IE or FireFox, I would agree with you.
But both of them??

And the page works fine with my IE and Opera.

Keep me posted on your test-results.
If I get any bright ideas :blink: I'll post here as well.

OK! I can use your link & navigate around the NFL sites just fine. The NFL homepage is the one that's giving me the problem. I can click on any of the links from the top of the teams page(rosters,standings,depth charts,etc.) but when I click the "Home" link then that's when the crashing appears with both browsers. I can also click on anything else from within the site like news & information so it's only the homepage from the NFL site that's crashing the browsers. There must be ghosts running around on that page to haunt me. This is truly crazy! :whistling:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
One thing. I'm not very familiar with PeerGuardian, so this is a wild guess.
But can you disable PeerGuardian and try it then?
Open a new IE window for it after disabling it.

Regards,

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

One thing. I'm not very familiar with PeerGuardian, so this is a wild guess.
But can you disable PeerGuardian and try it then?
Open a new IE window for it after disabling it.

Regards,

PeerGuardian is an IP blocking program. Yeah, the problem initially started when I was "temp allowing" a couple of IP's from the NFL website but I've done this numerous times before without any problems. I've since disabled PG & still the crashing occurs. With Firefox, the browser freezes for a short time upon entering the NFL homepage & then the error of "Firefox Has Ecountered A Problem......" but with IE there is an immediate crash upon going to the NFL homepage with the virtual function call error from my thread topic. I honestly don't know what's causing the crashes but it's very irritating to see every single time. No, this is not my most popular site(NFL) but this time of year it certainly ranks right up at the top. The homepage has all the relevant news that every NFL fan likes to track but I can't use it due to crashing. I have posted what happened over at the PG forums which I've been a member for quite some time now but the developers doesn't seem to think PG caused the problem though. I honestly don't know but it sure did happen upon doing something with PG but that could be just a coincidence. Thanks! :whistling:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Assuming you have all the latest Windows updates can you try this for me

Find this file on your computer:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
The file does not have an extension.
Right click and open the file with Notepad

Then add this line at the bottom:

127.0.0.1 www.boastingrights.com

Then save the changes and launch a new IE window.
Let me know if it survives the NFL site then.

Also pay this site I found a visit:
http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp

Let me know if it tells you something usefull.

Regards,

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Assuming you have all the latest Windows updates can you try this for me

Find this file on your computer:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
The file does not have an extension.
Right click and open the file with Notepad

Then add this line at the bottom:

127.0.0.1 www.boastingrights.com

Then save the changes and launch a new IE window.
Let me know if it survives the NFL site then.

Also pay this site I found a visit:
http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp

Let me know if it tells you something usefull.

Regards,

I'll try the above things. I did visit that link for some testing & the test worked like they should. However, I opened Java Console & there are numerous error messages posted for which I have no clue. These are all .css class file errors. I may just email that site these error messages & see what they have to say about it. I do know that no "Event Errors" are being reported in Windows Control Panel though. Thanks again! :whistling:

Well, I edited the host file to your liking & that didn't help either. What a bunch of total bull! I can't understand what this is all about. Maybe those Java errors have something to do with it. Thanks!

Edited by Tone Loc, 12 September 2006 - 07:11 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'm hoping and expecting they turn out to be related.

Maybe you can post them here as well.
Somebody may know what they mean.

Regards,

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I'm hoping and expecting they turn out to be related.

Maybe you can post them here as well.
Somebody may know what they mean.

Regards,

Well, I went back & done an un-install & re-install of Java but that too didn't work. Here are some of the errors from Java Script Console for the NFL homepage as well as a couple other errors:

Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method Location.toString
Error: Error in parsing value for property 'cursor'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.nfl.com/home
Line: 1107
Error: Expected color but found '#0001A79'. Error in parsing value for property 'color'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.nfl.com/teams
Line: 105
Error: Expected end of value for property but found 'em'. Error in parsing value for property 'margin-left'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.nfl.com/teams
Line: 148

I also have seen some other errors from Java Script form other sites as well so I don't know. It sounds like something is affecting the Java Console but what? Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You can configure Internet Explorer to ignore these script and runtime errors.
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click on Tools, then on Internet Options.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Look for the "Disable script debugging" line and put a check mark in the box.
5. Now look for the "Display a notification about every script error" line and remove the check mark in the box.

Let me know if that helps.

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

You can configure Internet Explorer to ignore these script and runtime errors.
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click on Tools, then on Internet Options.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Look for the "Disable script debugging" line and put a check mark in the box.
5. Now look for the "Display a notification about every script error" line and remove the check mark in the box.

Let me know if that helps.

Yeah! Already tried that when the problem first started. That wouldn't help with the crashing anyway because it's affecting both IE & Friefox. It would help somewhat with IE but not gonna solve the issue because something else is causing the problems. I have tried to go to each individual team website(all teams) & about 1/3 are crashing my browsers. Not all of them but some of them. I am using a Google search for the teams sites & using the Google links & not the links from the NFL official website. We may get this figured out but I'm beginning to think otherwise. I have tried so many things myself plus what you've suggested to no avail. Thanks again though! :whistling:

Edited by Tone Loc, 14 September 2006 - 08:49 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
As sson as you see a pattern, however dim, let me know.
Two have more ideas then one. :whistling:

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

As sson as you see a pattern, however dim, let me know.
Two have more ideas then one. :blink:

That's the problem! I have seen absolutely no pattern with this issue except for the fact of the NFL homepage crashes & some of the official team websites. There is no other type pattern because absolutely no other websites are being affected. Thanks! :whistling: