Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help finding components for upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi,

I posted on here a long while ago about buying several parts for my computer, but before I could buy them they were discontinued.

Anyway, I bought Half Life 2 the other day and little to my surprise it was all but unplayable. With that in mind, can you possibly help out so I can get the right parts to make this game playable?! I'm guessing a graphics card is needed, and thinking of a 1gb stick of RAM, but would you recommend me getting a new mobo?

I appreciate any help you can give :blink: I live in the UK so preferably could you direct me to products from either eBuyer, Misco.co.uk or Aria

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name USER-CD12A470E2 (Tim's Computer)
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ / 8S661GXMP(-C) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX/GX
System Memory 480 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (09/27/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS 661FX (32 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 330 Mirage Integrated
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (12321)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Edited by Albino, 03 September 2006 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need a much better graphics card than the SIS onboard chipsets to play games. Look at these and decide what you can afford.

http://www.misco.co......20AGP DDR.htm

http://www.misco.co..../... DVI TV.htm

http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/115850

http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/103766

http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/101494

http://www.misco.co..../... DVI+TV.htm

Also up your memory to 1 gig of PC3200 memory. As an aside i would also look into a SB Audigy sound card and a 5.1 speaker system if your really into the games.The crappy old onboard sound just don't cut it. Personally i would go for the geforce 7800 or the ATI X800 cards.

SRX660

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Blimey thanks for such a speedy reply SRX660!

Funnily enough I've just bought a set of 5.1 speakers and a new soundcard, and have another topic on here as I have no idea how to set it up! :whistling:

Anyway, thanks for those choices, I wouldn't have known where to start! Am I right in thinking, as there is such a big price range there, that the more expensive ones there are the better ones? None of those really fall outside my price range, though, like most people think, spending less is always a good thing!

Also, is this RAM suitable for my PC?

Thanks ever so much for your help, it's really decent and generous of you to take the time to do this all free of charge!

:blink:

Edited by Albino, 03 September 2006 - 06:31 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As in all computer hardware usually the more cost means its better. I always compare prices of other companys with the prices at newegg.com. As for memory, after a real problem with PNY memory a few years ago, i just stay away from buying anything with the PNY name on it. I do not like a company that does not back up their warranty's. I bought 4 sticks of PC133 memory and the computer would'nt even boot from any of the sticks. They refused to replace them because i bought them from a local computer shop that was not on their dealer list. So much for the lifetime warranty on them.

I have better luck with memory built by Kingston, Micron, Crucial, and a few others. hers what i would buy if i was in your place.

http://www.misco.co......20DDR CL3.htm

SRX660

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for your help SRX, it's really just a toss up between those two Raedon ones you linked me, not much difference in price, one has a looooot of good reviews and the other has 512mb as opposed to 256mb. Which one would you go for if you were in my situation?

Thanks for the link for the memory too! You're a star :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
id go for that one out of those since you have agp and cannot upgrade in the future without upgrading the motherboard aswell..

http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/103766

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi, :blink:

My memory has just come through, but, after having trouble fitting it in, which I finally managed, nothing has happened. The instructions said follow any instructions that your computer needs to recognise new memory.

Can anyone help? :whistling:

Edit: I've just tried swapping the two sticks over (the new one and the old) and it seems that whatever I put in slot 2 wont work and seems a tight fit. The new memory in slot 1 shows up under control panel/system, but i have 992 instead from the 1GB stick and nothing from the 512 stick which is in slot 2.

Edited by Albino, 12 September 2006 - 04:03 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I'm not sure about gigabyte, but i have seen some computers that need a setting changed in the BIOS for it to see more than one stick of memory. You may also have a problem with the memory slot. I would look closely at it and see if the metal connectors down in the slot have been twisted or bent to where the memory can't work. The super tight fit tells me something may be wrong with the slot.

I quit using SIS chipset motherboards as i seem to have problems running them. Via chipsets are Ok, but i prefer either Intel, or Nvidia chipset motherboards for best performance.

SRX660

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ah ha! I've got it to work after a little brute force (I know that sounds unhealthy!)

The slot was simply very tight in the centre, both ends could go in fine, just the middle it was a tight squeeze. Still, it all works and I now have 1.5GB memory :blink:

Graphics card arrives tomorrow, lets hope I have more ease with that one! :whistling:

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Graphics card arrived, installed fine no problems and runs Half Life 2 perfectly! It's amazing how much difference it makes!

Only problem now is I can't get my 5.1 surround sound to work, despite having a 5.1 surround sound card. The rear speakers wont give off sound (they do work, I tested them in the front speakers plug).

Does anyone know why this might be?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You may have to change a setting for a 5.1 system on the sound. I would check to see if you have any sound program. If not check in the advanced section of the volume control to see if there are any settings there.

SRX660

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hmm, tried that, all settings are as they should be. When I play HL2 and, say, turn so my back is facing someone who is speaking, i can't hear them because that sound should be coming out of the rear speakers, so it must be set up right, just there is no sound emitting from them!

Also, I downloaded speedfan, and one of the temperatures was 64 degrees....is that safe?