Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC suddenly shuts down like power switch flipped

• Please log in to reply

nrgeti

nrgeti

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My PC HP Pavilion dv4000, Windows XP Home) shuts down randomly as though the power cord was pulled out. Running most programs cause this problem right away; one or two (Windows Backup) ran without any problems.

I thought that creating another user may offer some clues. It seemed to help when running adaware, ewido, spybot and avast. They found the trojan virus, conhook_l and another, coulomb dialer. Then I used HijackThis to take out a couple of lines with these names in the records. I think they are gone. Once or twice while running Spybot caused the crash.

I am trying to determine if there is a heat problem or a virus. I propped up the laptop with a fan blowing on it to see if this changes anything.

I also ran Ghost and Windows Backup. Both ran to completion in the second user account.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would run HijackThis again and post the results in the correct forum. That way someone else can take a look and make sure your system is clean.