Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access Windows Update or Microsoft Udate

• Please log in to reply

Kathy S.

Kathy S.

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
For a while now, my laptop has been refusing to find any sort of update from Microsoft Update (it searches for ages, but it never moves beyond that) and it won't run Windows Update. I have a legit copy of Windows XP and have downloaded updates before. I'm stuck with SP1 right now.

On an unrelated note, when I click mailto: links from my browser, my computer gives me an error and then opens up tons of browser windows. I know this isn't due to a virus, but rather my laptop seems to be missing the command on what to do with those sort of links. Anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisements

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just to point out that MS are stopping support for SP1 from October, whether or not that makes a difference now

Kathy S.

Kathy S.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:whistling: Thanks. I figured out what was wrong with my Microsoft Update and I can download updates now, but I'm refraining at the moment since I'm infected with some spyware/viruses.

The issue with my mailto: links is still persistent.